S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Help with bad night

Old 05-23-2009, 10:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with bad night

alright guys theres a slight rant with this sorry in advance but ill explain. so today i went to the music city meet at burgers and cream, not bad except i got there early and some of the fellow s2000 owners i met were not friendly at all, so i left early..(such a shame...i was hoping fellow s2000 owners would be nicer but..)

on my way home tonight my clutch dropped to the floor and wouldnt come up and the car died. i then used my foot to pull the pedal to where it should be and steered to the side of the road. when i tried starting it the clutch pedal required more force than it ever has, i literally was standing on the pedal to get it to move. when id hit the start button the electronics would all go light up as if to start then it would all go dark. the starter wouldnt even work. im thinking its something with the clutch since ive been having problems with it feeling as if i had an air bubble (pedal was easy to push in but last 2 inches of travel would have a pop sound and would be harder to push in), it also didnt do this all the time, but in retrospect it probably happened 80% of the time. any ideas on what it could be? i checked under the hood and nothing seemed abnormal and nothing by the pedal was abnormal. by the way i have a stage 4 competition clutch that has about 3.5k on it. i noticed all the problems with it after about 2.5k. the rest of the car has 80,500 miles or so. i had talked to Ya from IP about it and he initially suggested adjusting the pedal and how far the piston pushes in and i adjusted it almost completely in, about 1/2 a turn shy, but still had the pop feel and sound.

oo to make things better while sitting on the side of the road a cop car pulled up and started hassling me and gave me a field sobriety test, which as he was doing this another (ooh lucky me) 3 cop cars pulled up. all being asses as i waited for a tow truck. so as you all can see its been a shitty day..please help with advice and possible things to start looking at...thanks
Old 05-24-2009, 12:59 AM

sorry to hear about your shitty night. ive been having similar problems with my clutch (stiff as hell then soft as butter) but it has never went to the floor and i havent had any electrical problems as you talk about. id start with a clutch hydraulic inspection and go from there.
Old 05-24-2009, 04:33 AM

yah, check the fluid
have someone push the pedal while you pull back the boot on the slave cylinder and make sure it is moving
try bleeding the system
than if that does not work possibly could be your throwout bearing pulled through the pressure plate-teeth could have broken off of it.
try those things first its probably the slave cylinder though.
Old 05-24-2009, 05:00 AM

sorry to hear bout your night man
that happened to my rx7, i initially checked fluids, but turned out to be throwout bearing/release bearing
hope everything goes well
Old 05-24-2009, 10:47 AM

thanks for helping guys.im currently searching to find a mechanic who can take a look at it, but since its a holiday weekend so far I'm outta luck...hopefully I get it fixed soon bc I'm getting very tired of making excuses for why my car is never 100% working or reliable..

on a side note the cop who was hassling me yesterday came to my house and apologized to me for being an ass..isnt that something?!
Old 05-24-2009, 10:54 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ushyaar,May 24 2009, 10:47 AM
thanks for helping guys.im currently searching to find a mechanic who can take a look at it, but since its a holiday weekend so far I'm outta luck...hopefully I get it fixed soon bc I'm getting very tired of making excuses for why my car is never 100% working or reliable..

on a side note the cop who was hassling me yesterday came to my house and apologized to me for being an ass..isnt that something?!
thats cool that he apologized, did you get a PBA card out of the deal?
Old 05-24-2009, 11:03 AM

Check your clutch slave/master cylinders for leaks... Check the clutch fluid level to make sure its still OK.

Something going on with the clutch fluid, but need more info to know what exactly...

John
Old 05-24-2009, 04:52 PM
Former Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Check the slave cyl...there is a rod that pushes against the throw out fork...sometimes they slip out of the socket they ride in and it will cause a problem similar to what you describe.
Old 05-24-2009, 07:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Also if you remove the slave cylinder there's a 'ball' shape on the end. If you see on the end of the 'ball' that there's a prickly point it could be jamming the socket. It sounds weird but recently I had a hard clutch pedal and another member on here who is a Honda Mechanic removed the slave cylinder and sure enough there was a prickly on the ball. He filed it down with a nail filer and viola....car feels like a champ again.
Old 05-24-2009, 08:49 PM

ok thanks for the replies heres what happened today..so my battery was clearly dead from attempts to start the car. after trickle charging it we tried starting it and the car started, it sounded funny and had a grinding sound followed immediately by the clutch pulsating and pushing against my foot fairly hard. After doing this for about 2 seconds the car died again and the battery didnt have enough juice for a second starting attempt. while the clutch was pulsating it was making a grinding like sound which was coming from the clutch area under the hood.

also forgot to mention the pedal is now back to its usual self of being easier to push followed by a more difficult last 2 inches of travel. i will re-trickle charge the battery and try these ideas you guys have given me.

thanks again for all the help...

Quick Reply: Help with bad night