S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Help With Aem Ems And Injectors Please.

Old 07-22-2004, 12:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Help With Aem Ems And Injectors Please.

Hey guys,

I'm not sure how to word this, so here goes. My car is going to the rolling road tomorrow for some tuning as I am having loads of problems with my set up getting it to work right the main issue is my tuner who has never used AEM before(I know I'm getting someone else real soon who does) I'm getting a loud rattle under load which I'm hoping is pinking as the fueling is all over the show.

The head mechanic who works for him told me when he pulled the plugs that the back 2 plugs were just wet and the front 2 were soaking with fuel. Now is it possible to programme each individual injector pulse if not what else could this be. PLEASE???

My set up just in case.

turbo, AEM EMS, 550cc injectors, stock fpr, stock internals.

Thanks

Andy
Old 07-22-2004, 03:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what's the "rattling" sound like Andy?

bigger injectors can be noisier than the stock one. this is typically a low/medim frequency intermittent noise.

pinging is a high frequency/pitch noise; sounds like small coins colliding or hitting a metal bar each other. pinging is very difficult to hear in the s especially in vtec. your plugs are wet and black making pinging even more unlikely.

Do you know the AF ratio under load? How is your throttle response?
If you add too much fuel and retard timing too much you will get wet/black plug and poor throttle response.

good luck
Old 07-23-2004, 03:10 AM

Thanks for the reply,

I haven't been in the car for ages now as its still at the tuners!! the rattle is a very loud mettalic rattle which only happend under load, the AF/R is roughly round 13's I know this needs to be in the 12's idealy but I haven't used the car properly yet since I fitted the turbo so I haven't driven it hard at all.
I do know the tuner retarded the timing and put more fuel in to check it wasn't pinking but it still did it after that, he's the only person who's drove the car and it happend whilst in his care so he can cover the repair costs if any, but it worries me still that something could be dammaged.

I think I need to read up more myself on the EMS.
Andy

Oh the throttle response is good as far as I'm concerned its just like stock but had shed loads more pull.
Old 07-23-2004, 12:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I believe there is a per injector "phase" adjustment. But, I've never played with it myself.

I'm thinking it's detonation. The easiest thing to do is to pull timing 3 degrees across the whole range and see how it is. Also, do internal datalogging with the knock sensor. It should be in something like the following range:

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=182861
Old 07-25-2004, 11:58 PM

Thanks Gary,

My tuner says he has done this but I'm not 100% sure if even he knows properly!?!?! I'll let you know how I get on.