S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Help and advice needed, please.

Old 08-14-2005, 09:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Help and advice needed, please.

Hello again people,

I know most of you can not be bothered with these but as some of you know, this is the 3rd time im coming with the same topic. The reason is, i still couldnt solve the problem. Let me briefly explain the problem again:

-After car is driven for like 20 mins , i have this terrible hesitation, loss of power.
No matter what fuel i use (i used 91, 95, 98) problem still happens. When i give 20%-50% throttle, it's less recognisable, when given 50%-more throttle, gets worse. Feels like something is pulling the car so it just doesnt wanna go. More i drive it, worse it is. Than suddenly might go back to normal, sometimes when it's normal, driving around 2-5k rpm, when given full throttle, happens again, stays on. Feels to me like ECU gets confused and stay confused for a while, than go back to normal, so i got the readings. AF readings, after driving more, gets worse and worse, after a while it locks and stays at a point (now the car is in worst condition), than it gets back to normal. (mechs told me these) There's this another reading i dont remember what they call it, when the car's ok, that reading is around 90-95 but when there's this problem, it doesnt go more than 65-70. When the problem shows itself + i have A/C on, it's like double worse. When i reset the ECU, goes away for a little while than comes back. This means to me that there's some electronic part which causes the ECU's AF readings to get confused. The thing i'm trying to figure out for a whole year, what's wrong with my car?

PS , the weather doesnt matter, still happens. Feels to me like a problem related to some fuel related part, im not sure of course.

What i did to eliminate possibilities?
(most under dealers warranty wihch is over this week.)
-ECU exchanged from another s2k my dealer had(programmed, setup in Honda)
-Spark plugs (new , ngk, than greddy iridium)
-Coils (exchanged from another s2k)
-Throttle body (exchanged from another s2k) with MAP, TPS
-o2 sensors both changed two times.
-Thermostat & fan switch changed to Mugen
-Fuel filter (new)
-Fuel pump (exchanged from another s2k)
-Cannister and valve (exchanged form another s2k)
-some other visible sensors on the inlets (dont know the names)
-exhaust (cat-back)
-Cat (i had it de-catted, doesnt have anything to do with the problem)
-air filter
-Injectors (new, 550 cc, than back to stock)
-carbon cleaning , no dirt came out.
-Oil change every 2k, plus theres a high oil consumption in the car like 1 qt every 1000 km, which i think is related to the problem (i think it's caused bcoz ECU gets confused after problem shows up)
-Coolant, i change it every 5000 km.

I searched like all the internet and s2ki for solutions, whatever i read on s2ki, i did it. ECU reset, MAP whack and everything.

I'm definetly sure this has nothing to do with a heat soak or driving style. Its kind of like a heat soak which stays on forever doe.

So you know my situation know, some of you already did know, but please help me solve this problem. I want to eliminate fuel system possibilities now. Like i said i already did filter (new), pump, cannister, injectors, carbon clean. I'm now wondering about the fuel pressure regulator. I want to hear from u guys before i call Honda and pay for something which won't work again. I paid 90 dollars to the fuel filter and spent 2 hours with the mech watching him take out my soft top than changing the filter, when i got out of there with the new one, problem suddenly showed up again and i felt like crying.

Through the researched i made, most of them in this site, a lot of people experienced this kind of a problem and i see that %50 of them was happy after MAP whack, MAP chance, ECU reset, Fuel Pump, Fuel Filter. As you know i'm not happy. The other %50 didnt post anything about how it turned out ! (i hate when people do that)

So please, now i seriously need help for more accurate solutions bcoz i'm out of warranty, any help, any advice appreciated. Thanks.
Old 08-14-2005, 10:25 AM

Received 1,398 Likes on 837 Posts

Possibly a damaged engine wiring harness?

Has data ever been run, and the STFT and LTFT been observed while the problem existed?

Ever had a CEL? If so, any freeze data?

If so, was the car run in the freeze parameters to replicate the problem?

Parts changing is never going to fix this.
Old 08-14-2005, 10:30 AM

Just to add....I've got a guy coming in a few weeks from now, with similar problems.

As of now (and I've only spend a few minutes with the car at a meet) I'm leaning towards skewed camshaft readings. I'm going to start by swapping out the two cam sensors in the back of the valve cover.
Old 08-14-2005, 10:51 AM

The two sensors you mentioned was changed (i mentioned some sensors visible under the hood which i dont know their names) two of those you mentioned was changed. When u wrote back of the valve corner i just realized i changed them.

No CEL at all. Thats what makes me go mad.

Running in freeze parameters and everything was done by the mechs. My mechs i mean : Honda Cyprus , Honda Northern Cyprus, JP Motis Motorsports Ltd. Car was driven and tested and everything but they couldnt see the problem. What the mech told me was that it's an electronic problem to do with the fuel system. He counldnt come up with a proper answer doe. I see you're a professional so maybe you had similar problems with other cars before and it turned out to be?
Old 08-14-2005, 11:18 AM

Link me to your other topics...need to know the origin of the problem.
Old 08-14-2005, 11:33 AM

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showt...&hl=NorthCyprus

There you go
Old 08-14-2005, 02:47 PM

PS about knock sensor, where is it located?
Old 08-14-2005, 04:41 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

So you did change to a new MAP sensor and securing system?

I think it's best that you now get input from new contributors. Those of us who were involved in your previous threads probably don't anything new to add now.
Old 08-15-2005, 09:05 AM

I know what u mean but i definetly need help specialy from those who experienced the same kind of thing and solved it. That , i think is the best way to find the solution.

About the knock sensor, i think it might act up after heating and keep my timing and fuel pressure low, bcoz i use low octane fuel but than why would it happen when i use 98? Im a bit confused about that but still i'll try the knock sensor, any help about where it is located?
Old 08-18-2005, 05:02 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I must apologize for my assumption in your other thread (closed now) about the S/C and being "heavily modified". You have started so many new threads and posted so many replies (in other threads) on this topic over the last while, it's getting hard to keep track of what you've done and you been involved with threads where there were problems with S/Cd cars that had similar problems to yours. Also, I should not have said your car was heavily modified, but more that it has had different injectors put on, header, exhaust and have had many, many parts exchanged.

Please keep adding to this thread so as to eliminate all the confusion that has arisen over your situation.

OK, here's the history (to help with some sort of continuity and lessen the confusion):
It started here:
Sept./04 ... https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.ph...pic=238256&hl=
End of Oct./04 ... https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.ph...pic=246071&hl=
I've left out the threads where he posted replies with bits and pieces of other information.

Quoted from a thread NorthCyprus started today (now closed):
Finally i found my car's problem is:
Heat Soak leading to timing retard ,
when the heat soak happens, it stays on and makes timing retard. I'm kind of sure now.

What might cause this EXCEPT bad fuel/detonation?

A mad knock sensor possibly? or any sensor?
NOW, we're up to date.
Carry on!

Quick Reply: Help and advice needed, please.