S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Help - ABS Premature Engagement

Old 12-04-2002, 06:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Hiroprotaganist
[B]

Hmmm - looks like we might be getting closer.
Old 12-04-2002, 06:51 AM

Hmm - maybe you are experiencing the same problems because of the temperature too....
I am going to post a Porterfield/Cold Weather thread over in Racing to see if we can identify any pad/temperature issues. Still going to pull ABS fuse and see where that leads.

I am real interested in knowing what happens at FATT tomorrow. Let me know how turn 1 goes!! Had an emergency braking situation on the Beltway last night (idiot on a cell phone) and didn't think I would make it......
Old 12-04-2002, 08:41 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OK, now you have my curiosity peaked Hiroprotaganist.

As Slows2k mentioned, do you have a set of OEM pads you could slap on for a little test?

I once had a complete ABS system failure on a Chevy S-10, my first and last Chevy I might ad. At 35 mph I gently stepped on the brakes because of slowing traffic way up in front of me. The brake pedal was firm as a rock, but as I pushed with all my might the truck was NOT slowing down, basically I was standing on the firmest pedal I have ever felt and just about NOTHING was happening. I swerved to avoid plowing into the backend of the cars in front, went down a small embankment and out into a field. Under warranty the dealer replace both front wheel sensors. When asked what was wrong with the old ones they replied with "nothing, they looked fine, but the computer said they were no good so we replaced them. You should be all set." Yup, I was driving a different truck within a week.

Please keep us posted with whatever you find out. Good luck getting to the bottom of this riddle.
Old 12-05-2002, 02:27 PM

I will guess that the pads are your problem , but you could have sticky slides or piston problems.

The ABS is engaged because it sees a problem with tire speed of one tire ,compared to the other tires on the car .

Pads that have much greater friction levels than stock will create this problem . If you have new rotors that are plated , you will have to wear the plating off 300 to 500 miles before the brakes will act normal.

You do not say if this is a complete new set up or it's the same one you drove at Rick's Fall Colors.

Brad
Pinnacle Braking Systems
Old 12-06-2002, 05:26 AM

I apologize for not making this clearer -

This is EXACTLY the same setup as I drove at Fall Colors - the car has probably logged about 1500 miles since then so I don't think it is an issue of anything needing to be broken in or bedded.

Unfortunately, because of the snow in the DC area, the testing conditions for ABS/brake engagement are less than optimal. Even if I pulled the ABS fuse, the snow/ice would be an external factor that would hamper the analysis.

I am going to wait to see some asphalt before I go ahead. Again, thank you for providing all your suggestions; and thanks to Brad for making me point out the nature of the setup. Sorry if that was not clear.

Has anyone else, or anyone you know, has issues with Porterfields and low temperatures? Low = 20 - 35 degrees in F.
Old 12-06-2002, 08:29 AM
Former Moderator

porterfields hate the cold. I have to brake much harder than usual to get them to stop me if it's cold outside, even when just rolling out my driveway and trying to stop at the street.
Old 12-06-2002, 08:59 AM
RT

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by The Unabageler
[B]porterfields hate the cold.
Old 12-09-2002, 09:07 AM

Hiro, I took out my car to change the diff. fluid yesterday and my brakes are back to normal. I didnt' try any hard stops as I was only warming up the car, but I didn't get the pre mature ABS coming on anymore. It was pretty cold yesterday and it didn't seem to affect the porterfields in any way.