S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Help! 5th & 6th gear are located right where 3rd and 4th is!

Old 01-25-2021, 01:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! 5th & 6th gear are located right where 3rd and 4th is!

Hello S2KI community,

I just want to start off by saying that this community has helped me a lot, and recently I've hit a stone wall and can't for the life of me figure out what's going on.

I went to test drive a lower mileage AP2 today that would be purchased as a gift for my brother. Everything on the car checks out fine, but when I tried to shift from 4th to 5th, I couldn't find it, I immediately assumed it was the infamous issue with the burrs. The owner then told me that 5th and 6th were located directly (1cm) to the right of 3rd and 4th. This sounded funny because I didn't think this was possible, to my surprise he was right. When shifting the car from 4th to 5th, if you find the perfect position which is almost in the exact same spot of 3rd, the transmission will go into 5th perfectly, and then 6th is directly below that.

Another weird thing is that the distance between neutral and all the way left on the shifter (where 1st and 2nd gear are) feels normal, but when you push it to the the right side (where 5th & 6th would be) from the neutral position, it feels extra long, almost like its far enough to put it into reverse.

Lastly, the reverse gear does not require the shifter be pushed down to move over to engage reverse, it will engage reverse if you push it all the way to the right and into reverse.

All of these signs point to the TSB about the shifter bushings, but the difficulty in finding 5th & 6th make me wonder if there is in fact another major issue going on. Has anyone else experienced this?

I found an older forum about a member saying " I was putting the shifter together the exact way it had came out of the car and apparently whoever had taken the shifter out before (for whatever reason) had placed the upper shift bushing on backwards, causing the shift lever to be instlled backwards. The only way I noticed that it was backwards was looking closely at a pic of a diy on the shifter greasing tsb and realizing that the top of the shifter leans towards the passenger side and not the driver side. FYI for anyone reinstalling the shifter, the top of the shifter leans towards the PASSENGER side and the little tab at the bottom of the shifter points to the DRIVERSIDE."

Could this really be an easy fix?
Old 01-25-2021, 02:28 AM

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

It sounds to me that you are correct - DIY Regrease/Rebuild with the shifter installed the wrong way.