S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

HELP!

Old 01-22-2005, 05:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP!

Let me start of with car specs, 2003 S, 30,000 miles, just installed aem v2 intake (i think its is the culprate) besides intake completely stock. Now the problem, under light acceleration there is an unbearable howl/whine made, the faster I go the more loud the whine, also with high speed 80mph the whine is heard even without acceleration. I checked all the hoses on the aem, all snug and secure, both sections of intake snug and secure, Havent checked the actually filter yet becuase of its hard to reach place, IF ANYONE HAS ANY IDEAS LET ME KNOW
THANKS ALOT!!!!!!!!! in advance
Old 01-22-2005, 06:05 PM

Did the noise occur after installing the intake? My bro had a cold air intake on his car and it made thay loud whinning noise. Try putting it back to stock and if the noise goes away, then it's your intake.
Old 01-22-2005, 06:08 PM

The intake was fine for about 2 weeks, no problems just pleasure from the new sound, and even earlier today, I did hit vtec a couple times today if that matters?, but now its the howl, I guess I will have to take the setup off but I dont want to go through all that work if it is something else easier
THANKS AGAIN!
Old 01-22-2005, 07:54 PM

Also the sound is not there at all when the car is at a stop, even when I rev the engine, again thanks alot for any help
Old 01-22-2005, 09:32 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

It's time to check that filter. Maybe it fell off.
Old 01-22-2005, 09:37 PM

THANKS for all the responses guys, I guess its time to take the damn undertray off UGH, thanks again
Old 01-23-2005, 10:34 AM

, I cant figure it out, I basically reinstalled the AEM, and took it out on the highway and it sounds like a supercharger under light acceleration. So im not sure if it is the intake now, anyone else have any ideas of what could cause a supercharger type whine under light acceleration? I also noticed it smelt a little rich but i think that was due to me going WOT with low RPMs, I would replace the stock box but it is 2 hours away at the parents house arg , I have heard of the differential causing this whine, and pretty sure its not the tranny whining, Hmmmm, thanks for any more input guys!
Old 01-23-2005, 10:41 AM

Until you can narrow it down to which part of the car makes this noise, we can't help you. There is tremendous difference between an intake whistle coming the front of the car and a diff whine coming from the back of the car and a tranny noise coming from below you. You may be better off to get someone near you who is familiar with the sounds that an S2000 makes to take a drive with you than to get a bunch of people over the internet to come up with a guess on something you can't describe.
Old 01-23-2005, 10:48 AM

Until you can narrow it down to which part of the car makes this noise, we can't help you. There is tremendous difference between an intake whistle coming the front of the car and a diff whine coming from the back of the car and a tranny noise coming from below you. You may be better off to get someone near you who is familiar with the sounds that an S2000 makes to take a drive with you than to get a bunch of people over the internet to come up with a guess on something you can't describe.
Ya I know, I dont know any other s2k owners around here, (San Luis Obispo, CA )
It sounds like it is behind me, but other things seem to be behind me that are not, the way things echo in the car i guess, Could it be the diferential? Doesnt make much sense that under light accleration on the highway it makes noise but low speed it doesnt? I know its hard to diagnose but all ideas are WELCOME, thanks XViper and all others
Old 01-23-2005, 12:04 PM

If it's coming from behind you, it could be almost anything - diff, exhaust noise, wheel bearing.

Quick Reply: HELP!