S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

help! 19mm bolt on subframe free turning!!!

Old 03-11-2004, 10:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help! 19mm bolt on subframe free turning!!!

I had a shop replaced my clutch and they took the subframe off. Today i tried to check all the bolts under my car before a track event, i found one 19mm bolt on the subframe near the bottom control arm is freeturning!!! I cannot tighten it or take it out???? The other end is insdie the subframe or the mian frame and looks like this bolt will bolt the subframe to the main frame. Is there a welded nut on the main frame or subframe side??? Or there is a threaded main frame for the bolt? Maybe i got a broken bolt but i could not take it out and look at it! Please help!
Old 03-12-2004, 03:22 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It sounds like the bolt is either broken or threads are stripped (hopefully on the bolt).

I'd take it back to the shop that performed the service and ask them how they will fix the problem. If you don't want to do that, or they are unwilling to help, any reputable body/frame shop should be able to help you out. The bolt may be stuck by slight mis-alignment of parts and once all of the subframe bolts are loosened, you should be able to extract it. It's a pretty important bolt, so I'd make sure it's secure.
Old 03-12-2004, 06:19 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I had a similar problem where the dealership crossthreaded one bolt so that it could not be removed so I had to cut it off. I temporarily threaded the end for a nut and used it as a stud.

There are six bolts that hold the subframe in and it not only supports the engine, but also the front suspension, so it is critical. Unfortunately the subframe must be removed to get close enough to the frame to drill the bolt out.

I was lucky in that a service writer saw the situation and decided he would get that and an associated problem fixed under warranty. He took a chance but I wound up with a fix that included drilling out and replacing the damaged bolt, a subframe repair, and a proper alignment. One of the few shining points in my dealership experiences.. one where they fixed what they broke.

You do need to find a way to get that repaired, but don't expect an easy fix.