S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

HELLLP I think I blew the motor...

Old 04-15-2007, 06:31 AM
Former Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You mechanically over rev'd your motor. It then starts to shake or stall and throws a CEL. We seen it a hundred times on this board. It's just a matter of how much damage you did. Continuing to drive and start the car sure didn't help your cause for keeping damage to a minimum though.
Old 04-15-2007, 06:41 AM

ChefJ, keep us posted on the response from your insurance company. My first thought was that they will not cover it because it was your fault for the mis-shift. After more thought, one could argue how is that different from taking a corner a bit fast and causing damage due to sliding off the road. It might be that as long as you were not seriously negligent, they might pay. It was a an accident. However, if the story is .... "I was racing a 350Z and ....." They probably will tell you no way! It will be interesting to hear their response.
Old 04-15-2007, 06:45 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Ubetit,Apr 15 2007, 06:31 AM
You mechanically over rev'd your motor. It then starts to shake or stall and throws a CEL. We seen it a hundred times on this board. It's just a matter of how much damage you did. Continuing to drive and start the car sure didn't help your cause for keeping damage to a minimum though.
Thats what is weird though. I didn't notice anything until about 2 miles later at a red light when the motor was shaking as I slowed to a stop light. It sped up just fine and drove another 1/2 mile or so. The CEL didn't come on until I parked it and was just idling as I immediately popped the hood to notice no exterior damage or oil leaking. I then shut her down and that was it on to the flatbed and off to the dealership.
Old 04-15-2007, 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by coxjajb,Apr 15 2007, 06:41 AM
ChefJ, keep us posted on the response from your insurance company. My first thought was that they will not cover it because it was your fault for the mis-shift. After more thought, one could argue how is that different from taking a corner a bit fast and causing damage due to sliding off the road. It might be that as long as you were not seriously negligent, they might pay. It was a an accident. However, if the story is .... "I was racing a 350Z and ....." They probably will tell you no way! It will be interesting to hear their response.
I plan on it. Damage is damage. If I wreck it because I am being stupid at 70mph in the rain and wipe it out they will cover a totalled car but not 7-10k in damage if I am driving and overrev?? A mistake is a mistake whether its mechanically or cosmetically. We shall see. It is an internet based insurer and I will paint them black if there decision is poor.
Old 04-15-2007, 11:04 AM

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts

chefJ,

first of all, i HIGHLY DOUBT you clutched in within a 1/4 second of going into second. i'm sure you clutchd in fast enough to prevent blowin up your motor...but it takes way more than 1/4 of a second to get you past 9K rpms...and furthermore, past 10K rpms where the damage is to occur. but that's irrelevant.

secondly, i also HIGHLY DOUBT that your insurance will cover a driver-error mechanical over-rev. insurance companies cover physical accidents where the car experiences IMPACT upon another vehicle or OBJECT...not driver-error. sure, if you take a corner too fast, spin out and hit a curb, it is driver error...BUT the insurance covers the damage from IMPACT upon another object. a mechanical over-rev does not fall into any of those categories. IF there was an insurance company that DOES INDEED cover mechanical over-revving due to driver error, don't you think that every MANUAL transmission driver would want to BUY THAT COVERAGE from that insurance company? I would. But no...all cases of over-revs, there was no insurance coverage involved. not one. so, i do not think it is the least bit WISE or sensible to "paint your insurance black" if they don't cover this. don't get your hopes up. and being that they are internet based...highly unlikely.

for what its worth, i also mis-shifted from redline 3rd to 2nd...and i clutched in to save it from blowing my motor. i did not get any CEL's, no sputtering, nothing...i saved it pretty quickly...but definitely not 1/4 of a second. more like 1.3 seconds. additionally, i replaced all my retainers and keepers for peace of mind...2 years later, the damage manifested as low compression and leakage. so i pulled the head and replaced the valve guides and relapped the face of the valves. total cost was about $800 parts and labor.
Old 04-15-2007, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by jyeung528,Apr 15 2007, 11:04 AM
chefJ,

first of all, i HIGHLY DOUBT you clutched in within a 1/4 second of going into second. i'm sure you clutchd in fast enough to prevent blowin up your motor...but it takes way more than 1/4 of a second to get you past 9K rpms...and furthermore, past 10K rpms where the damage is to occur. but that's irrelevant.

secondly, i also HIGHLY DOUBT that your insurance will cover a driver-error mechanical over-rev. insurance companies cover physical accidents where the car experiences IMPACT upon another vehicle or OBJECT...not driver-error. sure, if you take a corner too fast, spin out and hit a curb, it is driver error...BUT the insurance covers the damage from IMPACT upon another object. a mechanical over-rev does not fall into any of those categories. IF there was an insurance company that DOES INDEED cover mechanical over-revving due to driver error, don't you think that every MANUAL transmission driver would want to BUY THAT COVERAGE from that insurance company? I would. But no...all cases of over-revs, there was no insurance coverage involved. not one. so, i do not think it is the least bit WISE or sensible to "paint your insurance black" if they don't cover this. don't get your hopes up. and being that they are internet based...highly unlikely.

for what its worth, i also mis-shifted from redline 3rd to 2nd...and i clutched in to save it from blowing my motor. i did not get any CEL's, no sputtering, nothing...i saved it pretty quickly...but definitely not 1/4 of a second. more like 1.3 seconds. additionally, i replaced all my retainers and keepers for peace of mind...2 years later, the damage manifested as low compression and leakage. so i pulled the head and replaced the valve guides and relapped the face of the valves. total cost was about $800 parts and labor.
Well with all hope I will know what is wrong with the motor and the outcome of whether or not there is a chance that insurance will cover it. I just want to know what is wrong so I can move on and start making other decisions about the car/motor. If the engine isn't totally toasted, as it did seem to run ok, then I will do alot of improvements with valves retainers etc. before the turbo install. Obviously a compression test and leakdown will be performed if I find out the valves didn't float. I am expecting the worst though and am already researching a used f20c which will probably be in the realm of 4-5k plus shipping and install.
Old 04-15-2007, 12:32 PM

Hey man sorry to hear about this but dont worry, i did the same thing with my 01, basically you just burnt a valve, itll cost 900 or so to fix. Mine was only 50 because the warrenty covered it. Also only 04 and up ecu s can record and overrev. Good Luck.
Old 04-15-2007, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by RangOs2000,Apr 15 2007, 12:32 PM
Hey man sorry to hear about this but dont worry, i did the same thing with my 01, basically you just burnt a valve, itll cost 900 or so to fix. Mine was only 50 because the warrenty covered it. Also only 04 and up ecu s can record and overrev. Good Luck.
Thanks bro, its posts like this that keep my hopes for not having to purchase another tuner car high. I would love to just build the motor stronger and then pop on the turbo.
Old 04-16-2007, 06:54 AM

Alright, first update is the tech found that the valves were to tight so he is going to adjust them and take it for a test drive??? Is that safe? The valve won't fall in will it after its been adjusted? I just hope its not burnt and little pieces don't fall into the head and score it up if it hasn't scored already.
Old 04-16-2007, 07:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You keep saying that you don't have money to replace the motor, and yet you have an InlinePro turbo kit, which costs at least $4000. If need be, sell the turbo and replace the motor.

Quick Reply: HELLLP I think I blew the motor...