S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Heatsoak with different intakes

Old 12-08-2015, 05:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heatsoak with different intakes

Hi all,

As everyone knows, S2k is very prone to heatsoak.
I just have a question which I was unable to find anyone talk about (the answer might have something to do with it not being anywhere)...
It seems like a stupid questions, but does the AEM/AEMv2 intake have heatsoak issues?

I wouldn't imagine it would, since it's nowhere near the engine bay, but i'm just curious if the piping gets hot enough to cause it or something.

Again, I haven't been able to find any info about it having heatsoak so I would assume it doesn't, but I already have an FIPK installed, so I'm just wondering if it will completely eliminate heat soak if I get one.

Thanks
Old 12-08-2015, 05:32 PM

Received 89 Likes on 57 Posts

This is the first IAT log I ever did. It was 83/85 degrees F outside temp and the IAT climbs 5 or so degrees over the 15 min session. I have a home made 4" true cold air intake with a filter mounted under the headlight in the bumper. Its not the AEM intake but CAI none the less. It made a 25/30 degree difference from the engine bay breathing intake similar to the FIPK without the heat shield I use when its raining heavily.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0sfDAToQ4o8
Old 12-08-2015, 05:44 PM

Received 3,765 Likes on 2,656 Posts

As long as you are sucking cooler outside air the piping temp isn't a big deal as it stays relatively cool in steady state driving with throttle open. Heat soak occurs when you suck hot underhood air and in conditions when the throttle plate is closed or at low throttle openings.
Old 12-09-2015, 02:57 AM

Received 479 Likes on 391 Posts

Like stop and go traffic on a hot day?
Old 12-11-2015, 06:02 AM

Received 215 Likes on 148 Posts

Yes - when you're moving through the air, you're going to get a constant source of fresh, cool air hitting the front of the vehicle. When you're stationary however, you become enveloped in a heat bubble.
Old 12-12-2015, 05:51 AM

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Dead Serious
This is the first IAT log I ever did. It was 83/85 degrees F outside temp and the IAT climbs 5 or so degrees over the 15 min session. I have a home made 4" true cold air intake with a filter mounted under the headlight in the bumper. Its not the AEM intake but CAI none the less. It made a 25/30 degree difference from the engine bay breathing intake similar to the FIPK without the heat shield I use when its raining heavily.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0sfDAToQ4o8
Cool vid. How did you get the s2k heads up display?
Old 12-13-2015, 06:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Saki GT
Yes - when you're moving through the air, you're going to get a constant source of fresh, cool air hitting the front of the vehicle. When you're stationary however, you become enveloped in a heat bubble.
I'm aware of this. But are you saying it's the same with the AEM intake?
Originally Posted by Slowcrash_101
Yes.
Old 12-13-2015, 11:04 AM

Received 89 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Apex1.0
Cool vid. How did you get the s2k heads up display?
S2000 template on RaceRender
Old 12-13-2015, 01:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have AEM V2, I daily drive it and I do get heat soak while in traffic.

Engine of your car is not the only source of heat while waiting in traffic.
Everything around you is also hot, such as the road itself or other cars around you.
When its 105F outside, and you are sitting in the freeway, I don't think you can escape heat.
However it is way better than the stock air intake IMO, and I never got heat soak while moving with AEM V2.
Old 12-15-2015, 09:57 AM

Received 215 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Forziii
Originally Posted by Saki GT' timestamp='1449846130' post='23825413
I'm aware of this. But are you saying it's the same with the AEM intake?
Originally Posted by Slowcrash_101
Yes.
Heat always builds in a "bubble" around the object generating it, so without something moving the air away, it will build up. Regardless the intake, the area around the engine will get hot, so the air an intake can get will be hotter until something pops that bubble - either the car moving, or a really strong breeze. The AEM's inlet is further away from the engine, so it will help a bit, but not for the trade offs imo.

Quick Reply: Heatsoak with different intakes