S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

heater not as strong anymore

Old 12-05-2008, 06:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default heater not as strong anymore

Lately my heater is not as hot as it should be. Ill let the car warm up to 3 bars, and then when i start driving, the heater is blowing just kind of warm air. Its not hot like it used to be. Ill even drive a long time after 3 bars just to make sure the temp is all the way up. the heater knob is all the way to the right, the recirculate is turned off. i dont know whats going on

i recently did the OEM hood vent cut, do you think that would have anything to do with it? also maybe because i removed the insulation under the hood as well? I have no idea. any ideas anyone?
Old 12-05-2008, 06:46 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

From your tag I assume you have an '01? The heater control panel has a self diagnostic function:
1) Set the mode control dial to vent (Fully counterclockwise=picture of arrow at persons head)
2)Turn the ignition switch to the On(II) position
3)Within 5 seconds of putting the ignition on you must press the "recirculation switch" (at top with picture of car and circulating arrow) a number of times depending on the the recirculation switch status:
*If the indicator is ON press the recirculation switch 5 times
* If it is OFF press the recirculation switch 6 times
The recirculation indicator light will come on 2 seconds then blink a diagnostic code(DTC) to indicate the faulty component. If no trouble is found then the light will not blink after the initial 2 second light.
1=Problem in the air control mix control motor circuit
2=A problem in the mode control motor circuit
3=A problem in the blower motor circuit
4=A problem in the evaporative temperature circuit

Tell me what you find and hopefully I can point you in the right direction....

Utah
Old 12-05-2008, 07:16 PM

Also check the coolant level in your radiator (open when car is cold). If the fluid level is significantly low, the heater will not blow hot air.
Old 12-05-2008, 07:22 PM

also this was happening to me..try to bleed some air out of the system. i dont know why you may have gotten any air in the system, but its just a thought. did it to mine and now it burns my fingers at full blast lol
Old 12-05-2008, 10:39 PM

ill do the diagnostic here in a little bit. also, does the radiator fluid from the resevoir get used up when the car is running and goes back into the resevoir when its shut off?
Old 12-05-2008, 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by Utah S2K,Dec 5 2008, 09:46 PM
From your tag I assume you have an '01? The heater control panel has a self diagnostic function:
1) Set the mode control dial to vent (Fully counterclockwise=picture of arrow at persons head)
2)Turn the ignition switch to the On(II) position
3)Within 5 seconds of putting the ignition on you must press the "recirculation switch" (at top with picture of car and circulating arrow) a number of times depending on the the recirculation switch status:
*If the indicator is ON press the recirculation switch 5 times
* If it is OFF press the recirculation switch 6 times
The recirculation indicator light will come on 2 seconds then blink a diagnostic code(DTC) to indicate the faulty component. If no trouble is found then the light will not blink after the initial 2 second light.
1=Problem in the air control mix control motor circuit
2=A problem in the mode control motor circuit
3=A problem in the blower motor circuit
4=A problem in the evaporative temperature circuit

Tell me what you find and hopefully I can point you in the right direction....

Utah
ok so i did the diagnostic, after i pressed it 6 times, the recirculate light came on and then shut off, no other blinking. so what other problem could it be?
Old 12-05-2008, 10:47 PM

i also just checked my radiator fluid, the car has been sitting for about an hour and its 20 degrees out, so the car is slightly warm. when i took the radiator cap off, the radiator was completely full of fluid, so much that some leaked out again when i put the cap back on.

also i looked at my radiator resevoir and its completely empty. is that normal? radiator is full of fluid, resevoir is completely empty?

1 more thing to add, when my car is at 3 bars. i can just sit at idle and my heater will start blowing warm/cool air, but when i get on the gas and drive or give it throttle, it will blow hot air momentarily.
Old 12-05-2008, 11:02 PM

fill up the reservoir. most likely you have air in the system already
Old 12-06-2008, 03:57 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You shouldn't remove the rad cap when the engine is warm...scalding isn't very pleasant.

Ensure the coolant level in the expansion vessel is at 'min' and the rad is full when the car is cold. This will ensure the correct level of coolant for when the engine is hot.

Try bleeding the system once this has been checked, maintaining your reservoir level at 'min' so air will not be drawn in.
Old 12-06-2008, 05:32 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Check that the cable hasn't come off the heater valve under the hood.

Quick Reply: heater not as strong anymore