S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

heated the brakes up a bit too much haha

Old 08-27-2011, 10:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default heated the brakes up a bit too much haha

hi everyone today i was doing a canyon in about 100 degree weather and at the end of the down hill my brakes were so heated up they were stoping very very poorly(i almost could not stop ) so i poped the hood and sure enough my stock brake fluid was coming out the master cylender just a bit let the car cool and it was fine again my question is what brake fluid should i use to avoid this from happening again on the canyon/autocross/track events. also my pads are on there last leg as well what pads do people use in dd/weekend worrier cars??

any advice will be greatly appreciated
Old 08-27-2011, 10:33 PM

brake fluid ATE super blue or Motul RBF 600
Old 08-27-2011, 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by Jstone_ap2
hi everyone today i was doing a canyon in about 100 degree weather and at the end of the down hill my brakes were so heated up they were stoping very very poorly(i almost could not stop ) so i poped the hood and sure enough my stock brake fluid was coming out the master cylender just a bit let the car cool and it was fine again my question is what brake fluid should i use to avoid this from happening again on the canyon/autocross/track events. also my pads are on there last leg as well what pads do people use in dd/weekend worrier cars??

any advice will be greatly appreciated
I use a track pad Carbotech XP10 on front and XP8 on rear for me DE track days. You may want to use a high temp track fluid. Something like Motul RBF600 Synthetic DOT 4 Brake Fluid. The dry/wet boiling points are 593F/420F.
Old 08-27-2011, 10:44 PM

thank you for the info where can i buy the fluid? and do you use those pads for daily driving or do you switch them out before events?
Old 08-28-2011, 01:01 AM

I use these Stoptech pads on my daily. Ive taken these in the canyons and there were pretty awsome! And the price is not too shabby!

http://www.autoaccessoriesgarage.com...nce-Brake-Pads
Old 08-28-2011, 02:05 AM

Originally Posted by Jstone_ap2
thank you for the info where can i buy the fluid? and do you use those pads for daily driving or do you switch them out before events?

Fluid source:
My link

You can daily drive them, but they are noisy. I trade them out before and after every track day.
Old 08-28-2011, 05:12 AM

I'd bet you didnt bleed the brakes in a while? I have a suspicious feeling that there was a lot of water in your brake fluid, lowering the boiling point. I doubt a canyon run would boil brake fluid unless you are much, much braver than I
Old 08-28-2011, 06:20 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Is it the original fill of stock fluid? On over 90% of the S2000s out there, they should be on their second or third "tanks" of brake fluid by now.

I use ATE myself, in alternating colors.
Old 08-28-2011, 06:48 AM

Received 91 Likes on 82 Posts

I think theres a good chance your fluid is contaminated and just needs a flush.

I have heard of the ATE blue stuff leaving staining, any truth to this?
Old 08-28-2011, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by ikeyballz
I'd bet you didnt bleed the brakes in a while? I have a suspicious feeling that there was a lot of water in your brake fluid, lowering the boiling point. I doubt a canyon run would boil brake fluid unless you are much, much braver than I
haha have you been on gmr/ azuza canyon in 100+degree weather going as fast as you can trying to keep with an nsx-r and a skyline haha? it might happen to you too but you have a good point i have not changed the fluid ever, and since i bought the car used with 60k on it i have no clue how long that fluid has been in there (it now has 80k) im going to flush the system put the ATE blue in there and change my pads out/ get my rotors turned. i also want to get some steel brake lines

Quick Reply: heated the brakes up a bit too much haha