S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Heat Resistant Coating for Injen CAI?

Old 03-22-2002, 07:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heat Resistant Coating for Injen CAI?

Alright i was thinking that maybe since i have uncoated comptech headers- and my airbox can get BURNING hot after a drives - seems like after a long drive my car will begin to lag due to the hot air - i dont really know. Anyway, I believe i am making more heat in the enginebay because of my headers so maybe it would be smart to actually coat the metal injen intake? I mean it DOES travel right by the radiator . Has anyone actually thought about this? Or does anyone know where i can get some Header wraps(that work) or get my header coated for a reasonable price?
Old 03-22-2002, 09:02 PM

i have an uncoated aftermarket header with the injen cold air, the intake tube as far as i remember always got hot with the stock header or DC header. i dont think having a after market header really makes a difference with the injen cold air, the tube gets hot either way. i would also consider putting some kind of wrap on my intake since its all scratched up anyway.
mike
Old 03-23-2002, 04:19 PM

Anyone know anything about this? If i was to get the intake coated would this work?
Old 03-23-2002, 05:09 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

During my intake air temp control experiment, the last limiting factor to getting ambient air into the TB was the rubber tube. Once I insulated it, the air temp in front of the TB was at ambient. I used a double layer of 3/16" (2" wide) compressed foam tape with an aluminum coating on one side. "Coating" your intake tube with something may not be thick enough to do the job and using the same tape as I did may not be practical since your tube is quite long. You'd have to insulate everything from the TB to below the rad. It might be easier to use the same material that has been used for the "rad" mat. It comes in various width rolls of 3/8" thick "bubble wrap" sandwiched between 2 layers of aluminum. This is used as hot water heater insulation. Either way, it would look butt ugly but I could pretty much guarantee that this would do the trick. It seems few designers take into consideration "heat conductance" when their intakes run through a very hot engine bay.
I've always considered that the Injen/AEM types of intakes were NOT true "cold air" intakes. Even though they are "performance" intakes, you still had to do something to them to make them "CAI's". But that's a good thing. It's far easier to have a performance intake first and make it a cold air one later than to start with a cold air intake that produces no gains except to keep the HP you had to begin with.
Old 03-25-2002, 05:25 PM

http://www.designengineering.com/air_tube_..._cover_kit.html

Anyone messed with one of these intake tube insulators before? Are they worth it? I saw it listed at Summit for $50.

I have done the foil bubble wrap shield over the radiator. Am looking to do the tube next and maybe backside of the airbox with some of the other specialty materials available from the site above.