S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Headlight & turn signal malfuction.

Old 07-03-2013, 04:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlight & turn signal malfuction.

Hey so long story short, my car was pretty low and I rubbed away some of the wiring of my driverside headlight. Cleaned everything up and resealed it, but now I can't find where the short or issue could be now. I'm very saavy with working with wires so I just need some advice to push me in the right direction.

Issue 1:
The passenger projector flickers on and off as I hit the emergency lights, and the driverside turn signal is very dim.

Issue 2:
The driverside headlight flickers like a strobe light when I turn the headlights on, and the driverside turn signal flickers very fast when I try to use it.

My theory is the turn signal relay is fried, that's what I'm going to try to replace first once I find where it is located. Any other ideas?

** I will go out and check the 7.5 fuse in the cabin, I ran out of light.
** I do not believe it is a grounding issue, all grounds are clean and secure.

** and to the trolls, my blinker fluid is topped off.
Old 07-03-2013, 05:03 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Can you clarify "rubbed away some wiring" (wire color, which wire harness, more then one wire(?)). Sounds like a ground to me. How did you effect the repair ( solder or crimp connector)? Lots here can help but your description is lacking enough detail.

Utah
Old 07-03-2013, 05:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is an issue with your wiring. Disconnect everything and start over. Grab a multi-meter and set it to DC volts. Put on the turn signal on the side you are working on. Take your black lead and place it at a good ground point on the car, next touch the red lead to each wire until you read voltage. That is your turn signal wire. From there you should be able to draw conclusion of which wires go where.
Old 07-03-2013, 05:14 PM

Sorry must have been vague when I said I cleaned everything up. The wire was exposed, all I had to do was tape it up so it won't short. I am very saavy with wiring since I install alarm systems and stereos. Only 3 wires were exposed (positive and negative lead of the turn signal, and the negative lead of the entire driverside headlight assembly), and yes it was the turn signal wire. The wire was located BEHIND the headlight, and I honestly don't need to trace it to see that it goes right into the turn signal connector as I can see it go right into it.

I figured since the wire was exposed it should have blown a fuse, that was not the case.

I hightly doubt its a grounding issue, why would a grounding issue cause the passenger low beam to flicker when I turn on the hazards?
Old 07-03-2013, 08:10 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

The turn signal/ hazard relay is located in the under the dash fuse/relay box is located in the driver footwell just in front of the hood latch handle. On the right side are two rows of fuses. Along the top edge are 4 more fuses (7.5A, 10A,15A, and 20A). The relay in question is just below the 10A and has 3 pins. Just to the right of the relay is a 7 pin connector, to the left are three singles. From the schematic it looks like it would be worth swapping out the relay.

Utah
Old 07-03-2013, 08:40 PM

^ Great answer thank you so much. I was having issues relocating this relay. I will do it in the morning given more light.
Old 07-04-2013, 06:12 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you need an official wiring diagram or component location (connector, relays, fuses) let me know. I have access to alldatapro and can send you a diagram
Old 07-05-2013, 11:11 AM

you won't believe it but as I drove my car the other night to wash it, everything just fixed itself. My driverside headlight just turned back on, and the turn signals are acting normal now. What could have possibily went on? I doubt it was a ground, all my grounds are clean and accounted for hmm..