S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Headlight restoration?

Old 07-07-2013, 07:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Headlight restoration?

Well my drivers side headlight has minor fading and my passenger side is new (previous owner replaced) I know there are tons of restoration kits out there but what is my best bet for getting that brand new look?
I havent looked to far into it but is there a way to just replace the lense?

Thanks,
Andrew
Old 07-07-2013, 08:07 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

3M makes an excellent product found in any Walmart or auto store. It comes with a little Velcro pad that fits on your drill, has some wet sanding pads and a buffer pad that stick on there. You really have to be patient with it and devote time into doing it right, but the results can be stunning. I took some VW Jetta headlights that were miserable and made them look like brand new, but I spent about 3.5 hours doing it.
Old 07-08-2013, 06:05 AM

The 3M kit is great. Get the one with the protectant as well to help get better life out of it. Depending on how often your car sits in daylight, you will have to 'restore' it every 6 months-1 year. I did mine about 3 months ago and it is still looking great. Take your time while doing it and you will be happy with it - took me about an hour for one headlight (just had to do the drivers side as the passenger side was new).

Here is the one I used:
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...oration+system

3M Lens Renewal Kit with Protectant
Part No. 39045
Old 07-08-2013, 06:14 AM

Originally Posted by Reckon
The 3M kit is great. Get the one with the protectant as well to help get better life out of it. Depending on how often your car sits in daylight, you will have to 'restore' it every 6 months-1 year. I did mine about 3 months ago and it is still looking great. Take your time while doing it and you will be happy with it - took me about an hour for one headlight (just had to do the drivers side as the passenger side was new).

Here is the one I used:
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...oration+system

3M Lens Renewal Kit with Protectant
Part No. 39045
Currently the car is garaged but im moving soon and ill have to store the S outside. Ive ordered a nice weather resistant cover but she will still be seeing more sun than id like.

Does restoring the light really take that much of the protective layer off?
thanks for the input guys
Old 07-08-2013, 06:24 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CoolGuy094
3M makes an excellent product found in any Walmart or auto store. It comes with a little Velcro pad that fits on your drill, has some wet sanding pads and a buffer pad that stick on there. You really have to be patient with it and devote time into doing it right, but the results can be stunning. I took some VW Jetta headlights that were miserable and made them look like brand new, but I spent about 3.5 hours doing it.
I've used the Walmart kit twice. Both times excellent results.
Old 07-08-2013, 07:38 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Yeah that kit linked above by Reckon is the one I used. It definitely takes off the outer-most layer of plastic, but most of that is oxidation crap anyway. Its not going to remove any kind of noticeable amount of thickness. The kit does come with the protectant stuff like Reckon said. Keep that stuff handy and just apply a layer every 3 car washes or so and it should stay good as gold.
Old 07-08-2013, 01:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1 for the 3M kit. You need a small drill and a couple of hours. Meguiars sells a headlight plastic protectant that I use. Keeps them from getting fogged right away.
Old 07-08-2013, 01:35 PM

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

The 3M kit does work well, I used it on an integra and they now look fantastic.
However, I'm skeptical of the longevity; a few people have criticized the 3M kit's large jump in grit between the stages.
Old 07-08-2013, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by Unbr3akable
The 3M kit does work well, I used it on an integra and they now look fantastic.
However, I'm skeptical of the longevity; a few people have criticized the 3M kit's large jump in grit between the stages.
I could just add steps by buying a larger range of grits. Ill be picking up a kit tonight thanks everyone!
Old 07-08-2013, 03:14 PM

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

I just used some polishing compound, a sponge applicator pad, then sealer wax and microfiber, and a strong fore arm.

Quick Reply: Headlight restoration?