S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Headlight condensation after sealing

Old 02-13-2021, 11:22 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Default Headlight condensation after sealing

A while ago I had quite some condensation in 1 headlight. I took both of the car, heated the condensed one with a hairdryer until it was all dry inside (didnt remove lens, just all bulbs), and sealed both headlights around all the seams between the lens and housing, and reinstalled them. Havent seen condensation for a while even after rain.

Now tonight, after a drive, in minus zero celcius weather (its -3C now) after checking the car half hour after it was parked (outside) I saw condensation inside the healights at the corners (see added pic). Strangely both headlights had very identical condensation. It got me really worried that all work is done for nothing that I did previously.

Or could it have anything to do with the cold weather?

I installed all the bulbs indoors at 20 Celsius (let the lights breathe a few days with the bullbs out to completely dry), and installed the lights in the car at outdoor temp of +- 7 celcius.

Today its around -3 Celsius.

Hope anyone has an idea what to do or whats going on?

Old 02-15-2021, 02:55 PM

Received 160 Likes on 122 Posts

I wouldn't worry about it as it can be somewhat normal to have condensation build up in headlights in cold weather, even happens with new vehicles. The heating and cooling inside the housing from the super hot bulbs and cold ambient temps can cause condensation, even in perfectly sealed headlight assembly.

Keep an eye on it in the summer and how it reacts then.
Old 02-18-2021, 06:56 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fernando.
I wouldn't worry about it as it can be somewhat normal to have condensation build up in headlights in cold weather, even happens with new vehicles. The heating and cooling inside the housing from the super hot bulbs and cold ambient temps can cause condensation, even in perfectly sealed headlight assembly.

Keep an eye on it in the summer and how it reacts then.
Thanks for your message!