S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Headlight alignment / pattern

Old 12-13-2007, 09:27 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Headlight alignment / pattern

I did some searching and this has of course been discussed before so I apologize for bring an old topic back up, but I found a few different opinions on the subject. I bought my 2005 S2K just a month ago and I'm still having trouble getting used to this weird HID "pattern" where the driver side seems to be pointed down. I did discover standing in front of the headlights one at a time that the pattern is actually emitted from both lights but appears to be mainly from the passenger light, which seems to be pointed different, higher maybe. At first I thought it was the division of the two lights and one could be adjusted, so I took it to the dealer immediately after I purchased the car. When they returned it to me, it looked the same so I took it back. They adjusted again and it looked the same. Neither time did they tell me that it was normal and it was daylight so I couldn't see it while at the dealer.

I would more easily accept that this is *normal* if, (1) I hadn't bought the car used, knowing that it had a minor front end fender-bender that likely had the driver side headlight adjusted/re-installed or even possibly replaced. Not only that, but (2) it is pretty annoying driving behind a van or SUV and lighting up the passengers vanity mirror like daylight while barely even lighting half of the driver's side of the back of the vehicle. That just doesn't seem "right", like Honda wouldn't intend that from the factory and would have tons of customers back in after their first trip out at night asking why there was an odd pattern or line in the lights. And (3), the best reason I've found searching the forums is that it's like this by design to keep from blinding people in oncoming traffic. Really? I don't guess I've ever noticed that with other cars with HIDs, but maybe I wasn't looking. That just sounds, um, odd.

So just so I can feel at ease- can you guys please look at these pictures I took tonight and confirm this is normal? (click pix for larger size)

Standing from about 40' away, about 5' off the ground:

Parked in front of garage:

Parked probably 100' away, light pattern on fence:

Pattern on building at a much greater distance, hard to see, but notice the edge/seperation of the pattern is probably 5' tall at this distance:

So... really, is this perfectly normal? I'm tired of worrying about if my S2K was put back together poorly and/or wondering if this "minor fender-bender" it was in before I got it was something much more serious.

thanks
Old 12-13-2007, 10:52 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

it's one of the thing that you just can't tell for sure over the internet, just check with local s2ki member, i am sure they will give you a quick comparison.

some people will defend the low/high oem pattern, i leveled my the night i got my s2k in the garage(lower the high and bump up the low). how much different does it make? not much, it jsut that my eyes always catches the hi/lo pattern and it's pissing me off somehow.

Old 12-14-2007, 02:56 AM

Received 1,401 Likes on 839 Posts

Check it out.....

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=352248
Old 12-14-2007, 09:38 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Something does not look right there. My uneducated guess is that there is something not lined up correctly in the left headlamp. However, that might just be a reflection of some sort!

Can you make and post pictures parked in front of garage of each headlamp pattern individually (like put a coat or jacket or something on the other lamp to cover it completely).

Take care,

Siepel
Old 12-14-2007, 11:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The is the standard beam pattern since HIDs came out. The ECE E-code headlights all have had it for decades.
Old 12-14-2007, 01:45 PM

Received 1,401 Likes on 839 Posts

Check my link, and find my post with the red blue lines, it will become very clear.

It's totally normal.
Old 12-14-2007, 03:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Like Bill said, this is the correct pattern:

But there is something wrong with your pattern. You should not have that flare going up towards the right.

Go back to the dealer and have them compare it to another S on their lot with you there.
Old 12-14-2007, 09:15 PM

Thanks guys, that is what I needed to see. Mine do not quite look like that last picture, one light's edge is much more pronounced than the other.

When it stops icing/snowing here I'll get the S back out and take some better pictures with my 10mp and compare again. I think mine still need a little more adjustment. Not sure I trust the jack knobs at the dealer though, I'll just do it myself.

Also the color penned diagram is great, it finally makes the Honda bulletin make sense.

So are you guys seeing as much of a defined edge like on the fence in this pic?

(click to see full size)
Old 12-14-2007, 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by GranPrix,Dec 14 2007, 06:57 PM

Also- What is the laser dot referencing? Is that the center line of the car, or the passenger side headlight?

Old 12-15-2007, 07:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the "flare" (perfect angle) to the right, it is to light up street signs...

Quick Reply: Headlight alignment / pattern