S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Head Port And Polish W/re-build...is It Really Worth On A Boosted S2k

Old 02-13-2004, 10:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Head Port And Polish W/re-build...is It Really Worth On A Boosted S2k

I AM SETTING UP MY 03 S2000 WITH A T3/T4 .60 TRIM TURBO AND FOR TUNNING I WENT WITH THE A.E.M EMS. I BASICALLY WANT TO INSTALL A BETTER HEAD GASKET TO DROP THE COMPRESSION AND HEAD STUDS I AM STILL SHOPPING AROUND FOR THE BEST ONE, (IF KNOWN TO ANY PLEASE ADVISE) HOWEVER I WAS DEBATING ON WETHER I SHOULD RE-BUILD THE HEAD WITH BETTER VALVES, GUIDES AND RETAINERS ALONG WITH A PORT AND POLISH.....IS IT HONESTLY REALLY WORTH DOING THIS? WILL IT MAKE ANY MAJOR DIFFENRENCE IN PERFORMANCE? HAS ANY ONE OUT THERE DONE THIS TO THERE S2K? WELL I FIGURED "MIGHT AS WELL" SINCE I WAS GOING TO HAVE TO TAKE OFF THE HEAD ANYWAYS, BUT I WAS EVEN DEBATING DOING THAT, YET I DONT WANT TO TAKE A CHANCE ANDDDD I WANT TO BE ABLE TO GO UP TO 9 PSI OF BOOST WITH NO WORRIES (NOT EVERY DAY THOUGH). WELL IF ANYONE OUT THERE HAS ANY INFO THEY WOULD NT MIND SHARING IT WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED. THANKS
Old 02-13-2004, 12:25 PM

C'MON THERE HAS TO BE SOME ONE WHO HAS PORT AND POLISHED THERE HEAD ON AN S2K
Old 02-13-2004, 12:55 PM

Sideways has.
Old 02-13-2004, 01:06 PM

NOT FAMILIAR WITH SIDEWAYS MAYBE YOU CAN SHOW HIM THIS THREAD IF ITS NOT TOO MUCH TROUBLE FOR YOU ? I JUST WANT TO KNOW IF ITS REALLY WORTH SPENDING MY MONEY YOU KNOW. APPRECIATE YOUR TIME....
Old 02-13-2004, 03:11 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

There have been several owners that have had several different shops port and polish their heads. IMHO, most of them end up loosing power or at best not gaining much. There has been a lack of flow studies provided except from Alaniz Technologies.

Some of the best performing engines around have heads modified by Joe Alaniz. No two are the same and each is taylored to your needs. Working with UL and a group of generous individuals from here on the board, Joe sacrificed several heads over several months to get the knowledge of what and where to port.
CJB80 has an Alaniz head and puts out over 550 hp. He has 1.5mm oversized intake valves and lots of Joe's secrets.
I installed an Alaniz head along with a Vortech and gained about 40 HP more than expected. Mine was more designed for the supercharger with mostly exhaust improvements. The flow bench actually showed 16.8% increase in exhaust flow at 0.450 lift. The exhaust is the bottleneck in the system. Stainless steel valves are really nice to combat the heat from FI. Ti retainers and improved valves can certainly give you peace of mind when you run it up over 9600 rpm.
Other shops are certainly capable of replacing valves but when it comes to porting Joe Alaniz has the magic touch and his heads prove it.

Look at that detail in the exhaust ports. Beautiful.
Old 02-13-2004, 07:11 PM

You got a 16% increase in exhaust flow??? That's bullcrap! I want my head re-ported!!! I only got 12%!!!!!!!

I need to send another head off to be done with 2mm oversized....

Chris
Old 02-13-2004, 07:14 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

[QUOTE]Originally posted by cjb80
You got a 16% increase in exhaust flow???
Old 02-14-2004, 06:57 AM

WOW YOU'VE MADE MY DAY SIDEWAYS, I THANK YOU FOR THE INFO, WHO DO I HAVE TO CALL AND HOW MUCH DOES THIS RUN FOR THE COMPLETE HEAD JOB. I NEED TO DO THIS ON MY S2K I AM SURE IT WILL MAKE A GOOD DIFFERENCE ON THE DYNO WITH THE A.E.M EMS. WELL LET ME KNOW WHAT INFO YOU HAVE ON THIS GUY, YOU GUYS ARE THE PRO'S SO I TRUST YOUR WORD. THANKS
Old 02-14-2004, 08:01 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

http://www.alaniztechnologies.com/

Tell him Chris and Phil sent you.
Old 02-14-2004, 09:31 AM

THANKS A MILLION SIDEWAYS I APPRECIATE YOUR TIME

Quick Reply: Head Port And Polish W/re-build...is It Really Worth On A Boosted S2k