S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

having a tough time with reinstalling injectors on AP1

Old 03-24-2021, 10:04 AM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default having a tough time with reinstalling injectors on AP1

So I recently had some misfire codes. I removed my injectors and sent them in to RC Fuel Injection for cleaning/blue printing. HOLY COW, according to the report half of them were dripping, and flow rates were 280, 355, 309, 226. After cleaning they were all flowing 369-371cc.

Since i didn't have the washers for the fuel damper, i decided to leave the fuel damper and FPR in place, which made it a PITA since there was very little clearance. Removing the injectors was ok, but I sort of had to reinstall them blind. I had put lithium grease on the new o-rings that the injectors came back with, and got it all back together. A quick spot check showed that the injectors APPEARED to be seated ok.

Once i got it all buttoned up, i primed the fuel pump and i smell fuel. There is fuel spraying EVERYWHERE, not dripping, but spraying like a lawn sprinkler. I'm panicking because i don't want fuel everywhere, but it appears to be coming from multiple spots under the fuel rail.

Has this happened to anyone else? I find it hard to believe that I misaligned several injectors or tore the o-rings, but I can't think of anywhere else the fuel would be shooting from.

I ordered another set of O-rings and washers for the damper, and a new o-ring for the FPR. I guess I'll remove the fuel rail completely and make sure they're seated right. Incidentally, does anyone know a good way of reinstalling the fuel damper? I have a 22mm open ended wrench, but I have no idea I'm going to get a torque wrench onto that to get 16 ft/lbs . I don't want to over tighten , but I don't want it to leak either.
Old 03-24-2021, 06:06 PM

Received 3,768 Likes on 2,658 Posts

It had to be issues with the o-rings , that would cause leaking front underneath, not installed firmly or the o-rings not seated properly. I just lube them with motor oil.

With the fuel pulsation damper just snug it down, 16 ft lbs isn't overly tight , just snug. I'd say turn it down tight , then another 1/8th of a turn. If it leaks on start up then just tighten it a bit further, make sure you put the toothed washer in properly if you remove it.
Old 03-24-2021, 06:53 PM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by zeroptzero
It had to be issues with the o-rings , that would cause leaking front underneath, not installed firmly or the o-rings not seated properly. I just lube them with motor oil.

With the fuel pulsation damper just snug it down, 16 ft lbs isn't overly tight , just snug. I'd say turn it down tight , then another 1/8th of a turn. If it leaks on start up then just tighten it a bit further, make sure you put the toothed washer in properly if you remove it.
thanks! I'll pull them and take a look. I think with the rail off the car i should be able to ensure a proper fit. I'm getting paranoid and thinking maybe i cracked the injectors or something.

Old 03-24-2021, 07:11 PM

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by zeroptzero

We also lube them with engine oil when installing at the factory.
The following users liked this post:
zeroptzero (03-25-2021)
Old 03-25-2021, 04:55 AM

Received 3,768 Likes on 2,658 Posts

Originally Posted by NoCarrier
thanks! I'll pull them and take a look. I think with the rail off the car i should be able to ensure a proper fit. I'm getting paranoid and thinking maybe i cracked the injectors or something.
Not likely to crack the injectors they are mostly metal and quite sturdy.
Old 03-26-2021, 02:45 AM

Received 160 Likes on 122 Posts

Lube lube lube.

Any time you install a tight fitting components with o-rings, lube the ring.