S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Have You Replaced Your Rings?

Old 04-17-2013, 12:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Have You Replaced Your Rings?

I've been seeing my oil consumption and smoking engine issue get worse and worse.

Just replaced all my plugs and coils and my cat is shot. Its time to replace the rings and I need some advice from someone who has done it.

I'd like to know:

1.) Did you do it with regular rings or the oversized
2.) Did you machine the cylinders or do work on the head
3.) Did you pull the motor or drop them from below
4.) Did it work
Old 04-17-2013, 12:22 PM

Received 3,799 Likes on 2,677 Posts

Have you done a compressiona and leakdown test ?. You might have bad valve seals and just doing the rings might not solve all of your issues.

When my factory motor blew we bought a used f20c and we had new rings, bearings, and seals installed. No honing done to the block as the cylinders were in good shape, and we did not use over-sized parts. The engine was out of the vehicle so all work was done on an engine stand. While the engine was apart we had the valves lapped and new new valve seals installed. So far so good.
Old 04-17-2013, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by JFUSION
Have you done a compressiona and leakdown test ?. You might have bad valve seals and just doing the rings might not solve all of your issues.

When my factory motor blew we bought a used f20c and we had new rings, bearings, and seals installed. No honing done to the block as the cylinders were in good shape, and we did not use over-sized parts. The engine was out of the vehicle so all work was done on an engine stand. While the engine was apart we had the valves lapped and new new valve seals installed. So far so good.
Good info. Yes, going to Alex tomorrow at Ballade for a compression and leakdown test. I will report back here.

May I ask you how much (without the engine price) it cost to do that job?
Old 04-18-2013, 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by JFUSION

What did it cost you to do the buildout on the used engine?
Old 04-18-2013, 02:34 PM

Received 3,799 Likes on 2,677 Posts

Originally Posted by jib2222
Originally Posted by JFUSION' timestamp='1366230173' post='22480761

What did it cost you to do the buildout on the used engine?
I don't remember exactly, I think all of the parts cost about 500-600 dollars. But we bought all new bearings, rings, seals, gaskets,o-rings, and a new oil pump. Jordanksartell (member on here) did the work for me at a very affordable price.
Old 04-18-2013, 07:19 PM

Depending on your miles more then likely it is bad valve seals. Get a compression test and leak down test to determine exactly what it is but if it's just valve seals it should be a lot simpler depending how far you wanna go. Mine were bad and I decided to just rebuild the entire head and ended up finding my exhaust guides to be bad. For reference I have 110,000 miles on the car and my compression numbers were 220psi across the board before the rebuild.
Old 04-19-2013, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by Exileds2k
Depending on your miles more then likely it is bad valve seals. Get a compression test and leak down test to determine exactly what it is but if it's just valve seals it should be a lot simpler depending how far you wanna go. Mine were bad and I decided to just rebuild the entire head and ended up finding my exhaust guides to be bad. For reference I have 110,000 miles on the car and my compression numbers were 220psi across the board before the rebuild.

Got leak down and compression yesterday and they were both fine. Alex at Ballade Sports in Garden Grove, CA then did a valve adjustment and it solved the problem. Car is much quicker now too, amazing how my last shitty adjustment job screwed up my car so bad. Alex saved my S2ki and made it feel brand new