S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

have a strange knock

Old 03-22-2013, 01:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default have a strange knock

Started a topic about this a few weeks ago, not to many replys so ill try again.

engine has 75k, runs great, no CELs, just changed the oil no material in the oil and i cut the filter and it came clean as well.

when the clutch is depressed or being depressed theres a muffled knock on the burp of the throttle from idle to lets say 2500rpm.

The sound id audible from outside, less audible inside.

It can be felt in the clutch pedal only.

Valves sound a little loose, ill adjust them this weekend.

thanks in advance, Andrew
Old 03-24-2013, 06:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your clutch throw out bearing (release bearing) is likely on its way out. Does it happen audibly when the clutch is released in neutral and go away when it's depressed?
Old 03-25-2013, 05:44 AM

Originally Posted by AP1Driver
Your clutch throw out bearing (release bearing) is likely on its way out. Does it happen audibly when the clutch is released in neutral and go away when it's depressed?
It is more audible on cold mornings

And it seems to be louder when depressing or having the clutch pedal depressed. But it still knocks when it is released.

I dont know the history of the clutch in this car since ive only owned it since 72k miles
Old 03-25-2013, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by Andersonracing
Originally Posted by AP1Driver' timestamp='1364178920' post='22425809

And it seems to be louder when depressing or having the clutch pedal depressed. But it still knocks when it is released.

I dont know the history of the clutch in this car since ive only owned it since 72k miles
Could be the trhow out bearing is getting gummed up on the input shaft collar and the sound you are hearing is the bearing popping back into place after releasing the pedal. Someone had a write up on here about getting in there through the opening where the clutch fork is and being able to lube the bearing. Might be worth while to at least take a look and see if it is gummed up. Think you only have to pull 2 bolts out of the clutch slave to get access to see in there.
Old 03-26-2013, 06:31 AM

Originally Posted by Murphg05
Originally Posted by Andersonracing' timestamp='1364219051' post='22426492
[quote name='AP1Driver' timestamp='1364178920' post='22425809']

Could be the trhow out bearing is getting gummed up on the input shaft collar and the sound you are hearing is the bearing popping back into place after releasing the pedal. Someone had a write up on here about getting in there through the opening where the clutch fork is and being able to lube the bearing. Might be worth while to at least take a look and see if it is gummed up. Think you only have to pull 2 bolts out of the clutch slave to get access to see in there.
[/quote]
Yeah im pulling the trans this weekend. on another note did i see the S2k in your profile pic at a company down in northridge yesterday? it had no front bumper
Old 03-26-2013, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by Andersonracing
Originally Posted by Murphg05' timestamp='1364257582' post='22428125
[quote name='Andersonracing' timestamp='1364219051' post='22426492']
[quote name='AP1Driver' timestamp='1364178920' post='22425809']

[/quote]
Yeah im pulling the trans this weekend. on another note did i see the S2k in your profile pic at a company down in northridge yesterday? it had no front bumper
[/quote]

Rough day.. responded here but was talking about a different thread! Geez... no, not my car in Northridge! That pic is after my accident last year. Got her painted all the way around, upgraded to new top with glass etc... she looks brand new again