S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Have a question who TRUELY knows about turbos

Old 10-19-2001, 05:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Turbo's......Something Afgans wear on their heads?
Old 10-19-2001, 06:32 PM

fyi-
I am not sure about the math of HP gains with or without the intercooler but, my roomate gained a full second in the 1/4 mile of his eclipse by upgrading hit stock intercooler with a 24" FMIC. -3x's the size.

D
Old 10-19-2001, 09:15 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by LO CACHE
[B]fyi-
I am not sure about the math of HP gains with or without the intercooler but, my roomate gained a full second in the 1/4 mile of his eclipse by upgrading hit stock intercooler with a 24" FMIC. -3x's the size.
Old 10-19-2001, 09:24 PM

Question: 'Maximum Boost', Bell's turbo book, says that most turbos suffer from heat-soak, since the intercoolers are not designed to continue cooling the intake charge for more than 15-30 seconds.

Why is that? Do manufacturers assume that turbos aren't needed for longer periods of sustained use (i.e., at the track)?
Old 10-19-2001, 09:33 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Tanqueray
[B]Question: 'Maximum Boost', Bell's turbo book, says that most turbos suffer from heat-soak, since the intercoolers are not designed to continue cooling the intake charge for more than 15-30 seconds.

Why is that?
Old 10-20-2001, 07:48 AM
RT

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Ben, nicely put, thanks for taking the time to explain the cost vs benefits of the Intercooler.

Tan, don't be so quick to throw out good old Corky's name. He doesn't have as good a reputation as he thinks he has. Have you ever talked/engineered with the guy? Dude does stuff half a$$ at best. I don't dispute his knowledge, just his "gleaming" reputation.
Old 10-21-2001, 02:56 AM

Excuse me fellows for butting in, but it seems to me that the objective of boosting is to provide more air i.e. Oxygen for combustion and the intercooler while reducing the compressed air temperature may reduce some of its pressure but it does not reduce the air mass and therefore not cause a reduction in power. In other words, the engine power is a function of Oxygen input and not its pressure. That is why the more efficient is your intercooler the more air, boost the engine can handle, to a limit of course.
Thermodynamics 101 anyone?
Old 10-21-2001, 09:57 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by mike2k
[B]Excuse me fellows for butting in, but it seems to me that the objective of boosting is to provide more air i.e. Oxygen for combustion and the intercooler while reducing the compressed air temperature may reduce some of its pressure but it does not reduce the air mass and therefore not cause a reduction in power. In other words, the engine power is a function of Oxygen input and not its pressure. That is why the more efficient is your intercooler the more air, boost the engine can handle, to a limit of course.
Old 10-21-2001, 12:51 PM
RT

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally posted by mike2k
Thermodynamics 101 anyone?
Yeah, Fluids too, but apparently not you
(potato in the intake is worse than same potato in the exhaust)
Old 10-21-2001, 01:58 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by mike2k
[B]Excuse me fellows for butting in, but it seems to me that the objective of boosting is to provide more air i.e. Oxygen for combustion and the intercooler while reducing the compressed air temperature may reduce some of its pressure but it does not reduce the air mass and therefore not cause a reduction in power. In other words, the engine power is a function of Oxygen input and not its pressure. That is why the more efficient is your intercooler the more air, boost the engine can handle, to a limit of course.

Quick Reply: Have a question who TRUELY knows about turbos