S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Has your stock exhaust suddenly gotten much louder?

Old 08-31-2003, 01:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Has your stock exhaust suddenly gotten much louder?

Today, my car sounded much louder than it ever had.

This past week, I had a Honda dealer change the transmission fluid to diagnose notchy shifts. Later in the week, I heard something rattling under the car over slow-speed bumps, and today it got really loud -- like a muffler was missing.

I put one side of the car up on a floor jack, but didn't notice anything missing (has anyone ever noticed that "vestigial" pipe just past the catalytic converter that goes nowhere? What's that about?).

I've got 9200 miles on the car; is it possible this could be the sound of a fully broken-in exhaust?

Thanks.
Old 08-31-2003, 04:00 PM

not sure what the vestigal pipe is for but it definitely serves some purpose because Amuse also puts it on their exhaust system. (see this thread for pics of both exhaust systems side-by-side-- the pipe you speak of is clearly shown.)

I would say though that perhaps one of the baffles in your muffler is has broken loose (if "baffles" is the correct term? maybe it's me who's baffled?), since it was preceeded by some rattling.
Old 08-31-2003, 04:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by ToyBoy
Today, my car sounded much louder than it ever had.

This past week, I had a Honda dealer change the transmission fluid to diagnose notchy shifts. Later in the week, I heard something rattling under the car over slow-speed bumps, and today it got really loud -- like a muffler was missing.

I put one side of the car up on a floor jack, but didn't notice anything missing (has anyone ever noticed that "vestigial" pipe just past the catalytic converter that goes nowhere? What's that about?).

I've got 9200 miles on the car; is it possible this could be the sound of a fully broken-in exhaust?

Thanks.
I think that this is the sound of a fully broken exhaust (maybe partially broken). I would have the dealer fix this for you. Mine has over 33,000 miles and doesn't do this.

Have them check for the rattling sound and then replace the broken piece. I believe I have heard of other people having similar problems with the catalytic converter, I think.
Old 08-31-2003, 04:35 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by tritium_pie
[B]not sure what the vestigal pipe is for but it definitely serves some purpose because Amuse also puts it on their exhaust system.
Old 08-31-2003, 05:31 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Also check your air filter and box to see if there are any leaks or holes.
Old 08-31-2003, 07:10 PM

Originally posted by JL9000

I believe that thing serves as a resonator. I could be wrong though.
, This is what it does. My current exhaust does not have this and I get some major droning between 4 - 4.5K rpm.
Old 08-31-2003, 07:36 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by matrix
[B]
Old 08-31-2003, 08:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check your exhaust again and look for any tiny hairline cracks. My aftermarket exhaust sounded louder than normal after coming back from the track where I spun out onto the dirt backwards. I let it go for a week then seemed to get louder some more. Jacked up the car and saw this hairline crack.

Old 09-01-2003, 03:54 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Instead of a break or crack, the increased sound could be due to a loose or leaking gasket. The cat-back section of the stock exhaust is a one-piece design, so the only gasket is just rearward of the cat. Unless it's obviously loose, you may need to disassemble the connection to inspect it properly. The metal fiber reinforced "donut" should be intact.

Since the car is still under warrantee, and you don't mention the exhaust is aftermarket, I'd take it into the dealer for inspection.
Old 09-04-2003, 06:02 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by boiler
[B]

I think that this is the sound of a fully broken exhaust (maybe partially broken). I would have the dealer fix this for you. Mine has over 33,000 miles and doesn't do this.

Quick Reply: Has your stock exhaust suddenly gotten much louder?