S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Has anyone tried the Weapon R intake?

Old 01-07-2004, 05:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Has anyone tried the Weapon R intake?

I'm looking into getting an intake or snorkel and have been researching old threads on this topic for quite awhile. First I looked into the snorkel but it's too expensive for the Spoon Carbon duct and there appears to be no real performance gains. Then I thought I had it narrowed down to two intakes, Comptech or PRM beacuse of reviews, installation, price, hydrolocking, etc. But then I came accross some old threads on the Weapon R intake which is not really discussed alot in the forums.

Here are a few examples:

http://forums.s2ki.com/forums/showt...hlight=Weapon+R

http://forums.s2ki.com/forums/showt...Weapon+R+intake

After reading more about it, I'm considering this intake as well. The things I like about it is the price ($157.00 from MVP Motorsports), the colors (I'm leaning towards the polished metal), the type of filter used, and the fact that Weapon R offers a shield for the filter (about $20.00) and athough it is short intake you can purchase a ram air kit that runs a duct to the filter from the from of the car.

I realize that the intake issue is heavily debated but has anyone else tried this intake? Any thoughts on this one? Any noticeable gains (i.e. fuel economy, noise levels, performance gains). And also how was the installation? I downloaded the installation instructions from the Weapon R website and doesn't seem too complicated.

Thanks
Old 01-07-2004, 07:00 AM

Russ has it.
Old 01-07-2004, 07:57 AM

Originally posted by JL9000
Russ has it.
Russ is switching to the comptech this weekend. Pm him for info.
Old 01-07-2004, 08:25 AM

I wouldn't get it. The foam filter may be a good filter - but the housing itself is cheap plastic. the tube also has some "air straightener" in it - that was cheaply welded in (i removed it before it got sucked into the throttle plate. And honsetly - I would be embarassed to open my hood to show someone that fitler - it looks like a klingon weapon.

Currently I am using the weapon intake tube sans metal insert, a K&N filter and will soon be adding the ZTEC heat shield. I replaced a CAI with this setup to avoid water ingestion and because although I may lose a few HP to heat soak - the throttle response is superior on an SRI to either the stock setup or the CAI I had (aem style).

if I was going to do it again - I would source the cheapest SRI pipe I could find (probably ebay) and then buy the heatshield and K&N separately.
Old 01-07-2004, 08:34 AM

thereisnospoon,

after you intstalled the Weapon R, how did it sound? and did you notice any performance gains. Once reason I liked the Weapon R was because of the price, which left room for the ZTEC heat shield from Rick's and new side vents from Grille Tech. And the polished metal one looked pretty good. I'll have to admit that the filter/housing looks a little weird. So in your opinion do you think the price is low because of the way the intake was constructed when compare to the Comptech which uses stronger or better material?
Old 01-07-2004, 08:47 AM

yeah - the materials are cheap. The tube is going to be the same as any other aluminum alloy tube out there except that you have to remove the stupid air straightener thingy (thats why i would go the ebay route for the tube). The filter just didn't inspire confidence at all. With the SRI installed - I have great throttle response and a great sound that makes double clutching a joy. I am a big fan of intake noise because when its too subdued I have a hard time identifying where the RPMS are at when blipping the throttle. I honestly don't feel any power difference between this, the stock setup, or my CAI. Its just too little to really notice.

BUT - I do notice the car is a lot more fun and responsive with either the CAI or SRI in place due to the throttle response and volume of the intake sounds.

ebay SRI tube - $40-50
real K&N filter - $30
random vacuum tubing - $10
ZTEC heat shield - $150

so less than 250 for an intake that sounds good, offers better throttle response and is probably break even power-wise, but no chance of swamping the filter with water.

If anyone wants a couple of Weapon R filters, I have 2 (one from my Si and on from the S) that I'll let go real cheap I ended up swapping the filter on my Si to a real K&N as well.
Old 01-07-2004, 08:49 AM

oh yeah - I used hose techniques t-bolt clamps and silicone hoses/adapters for everything as well - the cheap rubber adapters and tubes just dont look right in the engine bay of a real car IMO...
Old 01-07-2004, 09:03 AM

thereisnospoon,

thanks for the feedback. I still haven't made up my mind which intake to use. At this point I might even settle for a snorkel if the price is right. I guess at this point I will continue to research this more or I might just spend the money and get the Comptech intake. One thing I do know is I like the sound that an intake makes.

Thanks again.
Old 03-20-2004, 06:00 AM

Awesome intake , awesome price. It's just as good as all the other intakes out there. It's also the loudest intake out there!
Old 03-20-2004, 07:45 AM

Weapon-R products are ricey and cheap. I would stay away.