S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Has anyone thought/done a custom exhaust...lemme know what you think...

Old 09-29-2001, 07:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Has anyone thought/done a custom exhaust...lemme know what you think...

Alright..I talked to my local exhuast shop...and this is what's going on...

He said to me that he can get me a dual exhaust/glass pack...and gut the mufflers...something about it will sound/smooth better...? Got me...but what do you guys think about it? He will only charge me $300...cuz I know him for like 10+ yrs...so what do u guys think????
Old 09-29-2001, 08:21 AM

yeah, ask him if he's got the $50,000 mandrel bending machine (the cheapest i've seen for 2.5" piping capable machines). if he doesn't, then you'll get an exhaust that may actually lose power.
Old 09-29-2001, 11:54 AM

The November issue of Sport Compact Car has a whole article on making your own exhaust. Probably worth a read with your current interest.
Old 09-29-2001, 12:06 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

glass packs? ack! noooooooooooooooo!

power gains from dual cat back exhausts are marginal to say the least, you might get a whoppin 1-3hp increase, others will lose hp. if you want it for the sound, go for it, but I wouldn't get someone that doesn't have R&D dollars to build me an exhaust.
Old 09-29-2001, 04:06 PM

Use 60 mm piping, 2 straight through mufflers (one at the back and one as a resonator in the middle area). Single outlet. That should make power (that's the setup for the amuse exhaust, which makes a bit of power). You can buy mandrel bent pieces very easily and tig weld them together to make a very good exhaust. You don't have to own a mandrel bender.
Old 09-29-2001, 07:15 PM

I'd like to see a single outlet titanium exhaust system of moderately loud volume.

Is a high quality exhaused tuned to certain wavelengths? I've heard that this will help scavenge exhaust gasses from the cylinders as you will get a low pressure zone outside of the exhaust port as it opens, helping draw the exhaust mixture into the header.

Perhaps a dual tuned system with a solenoid in it that activates at a certain rpm. One path tuned for something around 4000rpm, the other tuned for 8000-9000rpm.

Make it out of Ti and it'll still be light as anything.

I bet you could do the whole thing in the US for under $1000.
Old 09-29-2001, 08:44 PM
jzr

[QUOTE]Originally posted by S2kRob
[B]I'd like to see a single outlet titanium exhaust system of moderately loud volume.

Is a high quality exhaused tuned to certain wavelengths? I've heard that this will help scavenge exhaust gasses from the cylinders as you will get a low pressure zone outside of the exhaust port as it opens, helping draw the exhaust mixture into the header.

Perhaps a dual tuned system with a solenoid in it that activates at a certain rpm.
Old 09-30-2001, 01:35 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Don't go with the glass packs. I've got a custom one off with 3" pipes and it work out great. DynoMax makes a line of mufflers that would be comparable in price and if you choose one of the straight thru designs, good for a few horse on the high end. The sound is crazy deep. I set off car alarms at 1800rpm. Don't bother unless the shop can do mandrel bends. FYI - I paid $750. Ask any of the PacNW owners, its got the sound you want.

Shatten is right though, a dual won't give you much of a power gain. If you want sound its the way to go. If you want the look its the way to go. If you want the weight savings and the greatest high end hp gain, buy the Amuse.
Old 09-30-2001, 07:02 AM

Well...I am honestly going for sound/looks...

I mean...I am not going to go crazy over 3hp...and I luv the looks of the dual exhaust! I just don't want to lose any hp...

What do you guys suggest...do you think that I will lose hp in this set-up? Thnx...
Old 09-30-2001, 09:03 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by jzr
[B]Having a functional titanium header with EXUP-esque technology, reasonable durability, and CARB certification for under $1000 is dreaming.

Quick Reply: Has anyone thought/done a custom exhaust...lemme know what you think...