S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Has anyone replaced their ENGINE WIRE HARNESS???

Old 06-26-2002, 01:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Has anyone replaced their ENGINE WIRE HARNESS???

Just curious because I need to get mine replaced. I was wondering if I can do it myself or do I need to take it in. I am going to assume I need to take it since it goes throughout the engine bay and through the firewall. Doesn't look like an easy thing to replace.
Old 06-27-2002, 02:46 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

OK SS bro......I'll bite.

"Why do you have to replace the harness"?

Utah

P.S. There are several "engine bay" harnesses. If it's the one with the plugs and fuel injectors going to the ECU it doesn't look bad at all.
Old 06-27-2002, 03:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes it is the main engine harness. My #3 Coil Connector top wire came out a few months back. davepk came by and soldered it back in and it was fine until I went to the track last week. In my last session, my car was missing and backfiring and running like crap. I pushed the wire back in and it has run fine since but I do not want that to happen again and found a wire harness for a good price. The dealers I have talked to do not know what is involved with replacing the harness on the S2k but if it like other hondas it requires removal of the dash and other interior parts. Part of the harness needs to go through the firewall to the left kick panel. The harness itself has like 40 connectors on it. I have looked at the diagram in the Helms and looks simple enough but some of the locations seem very difficult to get at.

The other thing I am considering doing is just splicing in a new connector for the #3 coil.
Old 06-30-2002, 10:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dunno for the S2k but removing the dash and other interior parts are not necessary for other cars. ie, civics and integras.

in my 99 prelude, i pulled the whole engine out (it was blown),
then put in a new engine and i kept the factory harness. the main engine wiring harness basically plugs into the whole engine (tb, intake, head, block, knock sensor, fuel injectors..etc.) then all
the wires come into one big plug (or maybe more, like 2-4 connector plugs) and plugs into other connectors before the firewall.
from the firewall there's another harness that plug into where
the dash is. that wire harness controls the dash (a/c, lights, cluster..etc.) it was basically a plug and play install. but like
u said, there are places that's really hard to get to...places
like knock sensor (behind the block)...... i never try
on the s2000 so i am not sure if it's the same as the prelude.
but i think u can disconnect the engine harness from the firewall as there are like 3-4 big connector plugs there, aren't there?

and, it's the same for the integras and civics. that's how my
boys and them do swaps (B18C motors into their 92+ civics),
the harness are plug and play.