S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Has anyone gotten any benefit they can prove from a CAI?

Old 07-07-2003, 01:54 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

PRM:

"RatedS2k"

Chris C.
Old 07-07-2003, 07:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I could not find the stock one that was making around 125rwkw
But this one is with AEM, VAFC and a large K&N airfilter on dynomax
The higher output with better AF ratio is a result of removing the bypass valve

AEM CAI does make a difference on dyno and bottom dyno

Old 07-07-2003, 10:41 PM

i had comptech's intake before and really liked it. very noticeable difference around 4k-7k range, even more power with exhaust. plus you don't have to worry about hydrolocking because the box sits in the engine bay.
Old 07-08-2003, 08:41 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

More questions about CAI's:

I have what may be a stupid idea (so don't be shy to tell me that it is). What if I simply removed all or part of the baffle in my stock airbox and ran a tube (4" or so) from a hole I'd make in the left side of the box to the hole in the front left side of the engine compartment bay? Would that not increase the flow of cool air to the filter, with no risk of hydrolock?

Thanks much,
Richard
Old 07-08-2003, 09:30 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

IMO the stock airbox is a nicely designed piece of equipment to isolate the filter from water, dramatically reduce noise, and provide adequate airflow. It's major shortcoming is placement behind the radiator, and rather than hacking it I would keep it stock and simply put an insulator over the radiator. There are plenty of threads showing this change.

If in fact you want to make a larger change I would suggest spending the money for one of the proven intakes. There are members that suggest Mugen, Comptech, PRM, and AEM (and similar). If you seriously fear hydrolock, then one without the low pickup may make you more comfortable.

Modifying the stock piece is not really a proven technique even though you will find many threads suggesting it.
Old 07-08-2003, 10:16 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The PRM that appears in picture and description above in this post looks good, and appears that it would be no more prone to hydrolock than the stock set up. Any suggestions on where to shop for one?

On my idea on the mod of the stock air box to give it more air through a side intake (looks like the same one the PRM uses), I was seeking the power but NOT the "MONSTER SOUND" mentioned about many CAI's. Thought maybe that the hole in the side of the engine bay would accomodate about a 4" round tube (12.57 diameter inches), so I'd remove an equal area of the box baffle to keep some of the noise reduction. Of course, I would first acquire a second, used stock air box to experiement with, so as to preserve the option of converting to stock.

Another question. with any of these CAI's, do any adjustments need to be made to any of the engines computer based electronics or any other adjustments?

I appreciate all the advice I'm getting. I really like my S2k, but ever since I got it, I have had this feeling (obsession?) that the engine is just a bit starved for air.

Thanks much,
Richard
Old 07-08-2003, 11:02 AM

Go with the AEM CAI, the fit and finish on my '03 was great, this is the second s2000 I have owned with the AEM CAI. The sound is great and it makes good power. As far as a place to buy, check out summit racing. I know there mostly for domestics and lower end imports but they price match and have 2 day air delivery for 10 bucks.
Old 07-08-2003, 08:00 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally posted by dolebludger
Another question. with any of these CAI's, do any adjustments need to be made to any of the engines computer based electronics or any other adjustments?
Anytime you make mods to this car that would affect the way it breaths (both in or out, this includes cams, header, exhaust, intake, etc), you should make a habit of resetting the ECU by pulling the "BACK UP" fuse under the dash for about 30 seconds. Then the ECU will be able to more quickly learn the new parameters and make the engine run its best accordingly.
Old 07-09-2003, 05:37 AM

I'll add something here about the infamous "hydrolock" myth.

Hydrolock is entirely possible with a CAI that goes to the bottom of the car's chassis. BUT, it is not very probably at all.

Why?

I'll tell you why.

Small amounts of water can be injested, like rain or water spray from tires or the car ahead of you or from a puddle splashing. BUT, for these small amounts of water to stay formed together in a larger mass of water that could actually do some damage, this would have to happen.

1. It would have to somehow get through the air filter as one large mass of water. Most air filters I know of don't have huge holes in them.

2. If it did somehow get through the air filter in one large mass, it would then have to go through the entire intake tube without hitting the inner walls of the tube. (Not very probable)

3. If it managed to do the two previous steps, the large mass of water would then have to get through the honeycomb MAS without being broken up into smaller masses of water. (again, not very probable)

4. If this was some kind of special "smart water", and it managed to do all of the previous, it would then have to navagate it's way through the maze of the intake manifold without getting dispersed prior to going past the valves and going into the cylinders.

Now, is this still possible, yes, it is entirely possible. BUT, to have hydrolock, you have to drive through a puddle that will almost completely submerge the air filter. This means you would have to drive through a puddle that is at least 9" to 1 foot in depth.

Now, my question to all the "hydrolock" believers out there. How often do you take your S offroading or even driving it through deep puddles? Now keep in mind, the puddle would be above the bottom of your door to actually hydrolock your motor.

It seems that everyone "knows" this one guy, or "has a friend" who has done it to their motor. But I have never heard of or met anyone who has actually hydrolocked THEIR motor.

Hydrolock is entirely possible, don't get me wrong, but the chances of it happening are VERY slim. Hydrolock was thrust into all the ricer mags when AEM first started marketing their "bypass" valve. Hmmmm, I wonder why. Young impressionable kids that put all their faith into these mags buy everything they see in them. A CAI is probably the most common mod of all cars, so that's a lot of $50 bypass valves they can sell.

You decide.
Old 07-09-2003, 07:20 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Especially that part about "young impressionable ....... "

I think many people have the wrong concept of what "hydrolocking" is. Every suck pop or juice through a straw? It's a solid column of liquid. Does anyone know the weight of a 4" diameter column of water being drawn up a verticle height of approx. 1.5 feet?
In those stories of hydrolocking, I think there may be parts of the overall scenario we have not been told.

Quick Reply: Has anyone gotten any benefit they can prove from a CAI?