S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Has anyone gotten any benefit they can prove from a CAI?

Old 07-05-2003, 11:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Has anyone gotten any benefit they can prove from a CAI?

Silly question? I don't think so. There have been many posts on this board about CAI's, and the problems they can cause (hydrolocking). There have been posts about dyno results showing very little (if any) benefits for these. But these things keep on selling! So, I'd like to know if any of you out there have a CAI, and have any benefits from it that they can prove through dyno, or timed runs, or whatever. Frankly, I'm one who thinks the S2k could use just a bit more air (normally aspirated) but just don't know how to do it, without adding problems.

Thanks,
Richard
Old 07-06-2003, 04:19 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Actually, Richard, I think most intakes have shown an impressive improvement when you consider their just an aluminum tube or a plastic box. For instance, the AEM has consistently shown 5-7 whp and 3-5 wtq at the dyno, and this does not take into account any gains seen while at speed. Combined with reduced heat soak and increased throttle response, I'd do it again given the chance.
Old 07-06-2003, 04:52 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Few have the time and equipment to run accurate tests. The Mugen CAI has been tested with very good results more than once. Many of the tests are years old and the unfortunately the graphics gone with the hosting services of the time. This was one of the posts.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Luis
[B]Before I installed the Mugen CAI I made some runs with my AP-22 that I could repeat after installation.
Old 07-06-2003, 05:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

AEM and Injen are the best.
Don't get the bypass valve or you loose power
Do a search on the AEM or Injen and you see what I meant.

My internet is downloading otherwise I will post pics of my last dyno.
Old 07-06-2003, 11:09 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

AEM and Injen definitely work on the dyno and the track.

I recently dyno'd my first Mugen CAI. The owner did not do a before dyno, but based upon his mods and the hp levels of similar year/mod S2000s, the CAI is definitely doing something, even on the dyno.

UL
Old 07-07-2003, 04:55 AM

Just about any decently designed S2000 CAI will net between 4-8hp
at speed. The stock air box is not designed with performance as a priority, rather sound insulation first. Rarely will you ever see a CAI lose horsepower (even short ram systems will net you hp, just smaller gains than cold air set-ups). Take a stock S2000 and use a Tazzo for some 30-70mph runs in 3rd gear...install a CAI, monitor the IAT (if you can) and re-run the car when conditions are as equally matched as possible. You WILL see lower times.
Old 07-07-2003, 05:31 AM

I drove my new 03 for 3 weeks stock. I installed a AEM cia and noticed a difference right away. The throttle response is much better and it also sounds better. I recommend the MOD highly.

OG
Old 07-07-2003, 12:59 PM

i kept runnin 14.7s and 14.5s at the track. i installed an injen CAI and on my second run i hit a 14.411@97. so i dunno im guessin it does help alittle bit..you cant really look too much into it. u wont see astronomical gains like WOW! i can feel it! but its there.
Old 07-07-2003, 01:30 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

At the Dyno we saw a stock S2000 and a AEM equiped S2000 and the difference in HP was 5 more and in torque 6. They do make HP & TQ.

Chris C.
Old 07-07-2003, 01:38 PM

I'm a big fan of my PRM Jet Stream Intake. Throttle response is vastly improved. I was a huge skeptic, just like you seem to be. I assumed that people were simply confusing a nice roaring sound with power gains. The gains are real, as is the monster sound. :-)

Quick Reply: Has anyone gotten any benefit they can prove from a CAI?