S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

has anyone cut off one of the mufflers of a stock exhaust???

Old 08-24-2003, 09:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

has anyone cut one of the mufflers off a dual oem exhaust system?
i have seen threads about it before but the search function sucks and i cannot find them.

those of you who have tried it:
were there any performance gains or losses?
how is the sound compaired to stock?

i know there are going to be people who say that cutting your stock exhaust is stupid or whatever.
but if performance atleast stays the same, and i loose 30lbs or so, than i will go for it. its cheaper than a new exhaust.

what do you guys think?
Old 08-24-2003, 10:32 AM

I believe Kodokan cut off his mufflers and replaced them with some really sick look aftermarket ones.

if you replace them with ligher, more free-flowing mufflers, there is no doubt that you will see performance gains.
Old 08-24-2003, 02:02 PM

My brother cut off his oem mufflers and put on hayame mufflers, the rest of the exhaust is stock. He dynoed before and after. He lost one H.P. but gained one T.Q. The oem muffs are very non-restrictive . In an S2000 if you change your exhaust in any way do it for looks, or sound. Let's just say you buy a titanium single exhaust (maybe 4-5 H.P. gain which is nothing you will notice) (25-30 lb. weight reduction which won't make you car any faster than the other guy) now you have a rediculously loud exhaust that cost you $1000 and won't noticeably increase your performance at all. So if you're gonna change something do it for looks and sound . I bet you could go to a muffler shop and have them cut off your resonater, left muffler and weld a pipe to connect everything for about $100. I cut out my resonater a year ago for $20 at a muffler shop. It has a nice "very slight" deep hum now!
Old 08-24-2003, 02:12 PM

If I cut off the factory mufflers and weld on an aftermarket set, what brand or model should I get?
I'm looking for something just slightly louder than stock. And I don't want my car to sound like I have a swarm of bees chasing behind me.

I might as well have them cut out the resonator while I'm having mufflers welded on too.

aftermarket exhaust systems are just so damn expensive
Old 08-24-2003, 02:17 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check out one of the Spugen bolt-on kits. For the price of having the work done + the aftermarket canisters you're looking at Spugen-like prices probably. You can also save your stock exhaust in case you ever want to switch back.....
Old 08-24-2003, 02:21 PM

what about maybe a muffler like this?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...item=2429372940
or
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...item=2429340737
Old 08-24-2003, 03:35 PM

With a muffler you usually get what you pay for. Those mufflers look O.k. but for that price probably sound like a bunch of bees.
Old 08-24-2003, 04:51 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by hygiene boy
[B]My brother cut off his oem mufflers and put on hayame mufflers, the rest of the exhaust is stock. He dynoed before and after. He lost one H.P. but gained one T.Q. The oem muffs are very non-restrictive .
Old 08-24-2003, 05:03 PM

What type of hayame mufflers does he have? This site has many diff ones available
http://www.i-m-racing.com/hayamemufflers.html

P.S. damn those hayame mufflers are expencive! over 2 bills each?!?!
Old 08-24-2003, 05:11 PM

I cut my stock mufflers and just ran it open resonator. That sounded great, and I cut it before the y-split, which if you'll notice has a big flat spot in it. This probably restricts the performance of the exhaust. After I cut it, it felt on the butt-dyno better. There was a slight resonance, so I just had the muffler shop weld some pipes from the split to the stock outlets. I've never heard an S2000 that sounds like mine. Mine definitely has a little "V8 rumble" to it.

Jason

Quick Reply: has anyone cut off one of the mufflers of a stock exhaust???