S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

harmonic humming/whistling noise...

Old 12-04-2008, 10:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll chime in - but keep in mind I have aftermarket gears which are known to whine.

If its something in your drivetrain past the engine - then it should not be RPM related. The reason possibly that you hear it when you press on the gas is because of what someone said earlier - you are putting the drivetrain under load. When you clutch in - you take all the load off.

Mine whines.....starting around 45mph, and is the most noticeable from 45-55mph. Its still present at faster speeds just not as much. If i let of the gas/clutch in, or play with the throttle i can change the tone/volume.

I think a diff fluid change is in order, if not only becuase you havent done it in awhile, its cheap - and could lead you to the cause.
Old 12-04-2008, 12:15 PM

I'm going to make a suggestion of the release/throwout bearing since you mention the sound goes away when you clutch in.

This could be as a result of shifting without the clutch pedal completely on the floor for an extended portion of the car's life. It's a bearing that you would want to replace at the same time you do your next clutch replacement.
Old 12-04-2008, 12:39 PM

thanks for all the good responses!
Yeah..I have to be honest..I RARELY push the clutch pedal all the way to the floor as my clutch pedal seems to stiffen up alot..gets real hard to push..its been like that for about 10k miles and so I rarely push the pedal all the way to the floor...Im fixing to replace the clutch..but if it was the to bearing would the humming come and go as I just SLIGHTLY push the gas? and stop when I let off or clutch in(I know it would when I clutch in..) also..it sounds like its coming from either right under me or behind me..not sure..as far as the diff..I definitely need to probably change my fluid then..although I would have thought the diff would make noise in neutral or whenever...but IM definitely no mechanic..
Old 12-04-2008, 12:40 PM

this humming is so loud though..i can hear it over my radio..it can interrupt a conversation inside the car..its not just a faint humming..although sometimes it doesnt do it..and the loudness does change..
Old 12-04-2008, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by markc24,Dec 4 2008, 02:39 PM
although I would have thought the diff would make noise in neutral or whenever
Nope - if you are in neutral the diff will be still. At idle.....at 9000 rpm, as long as you are in neutral (or....the rear wheels being stationary) the diff is not moving.
Old 12-04-2008, 07:27 PM

great so it is my diff probably then...so you mean if I get rolling and push the clutch in the diff isnt moving? that doesnt make sense...well I guess that could be my problem..but I dont even drive it real hard and I change the fluid regularly..never any clunking or anything..
Old 12-04-2008, 07:29 PM

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Nate4635,Dec 4 2008, 05:11 PM
Nope - if you are in neutral the diff will be still. At idle.....at 9000 rpm, as long as you are in neutral (or....the rear wheels being stationary) the diff is not moving.
incorrect, as long as you are in motion the diff will be spinning
Old 12-04-2008, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by 2poor2mod,Dec 4 2008, 09:29 PM
incorrect, as long as you are in motion the diff will be spinning

meh i typed too fast

if your wheels are still, the diff is still, if your wheels are rolling, the diff is moving, regardless of gear selection/clutch engagement/RPM....

sowwie
Old 12-05-2008, 04:48 AM

ok..thats what I thought lol..well I meant to say in neutral rolling or with the clutch in there is no sound..but if Im in gear rolling giving it a slight amount of gas it humms or if I decelerate I think it slightly humms but not near as loud..also my clutch buzz kinda masks it on decel..but when Im driving,especially if I give a little gas at cruising speeds and hold it, it really humms loud and its definitely coming from somewhere in the rear of the car...?
Old 12-05-2008, 10:32 AM

would it be safe to say all signs are pointing to the clutch or t.o. bearing maybe just resonating sound that makes it seem its coming from the rear? I mean if it was diff it would do it all the time is what Im hearing..if it was transmission it wouldnt probably do it in every gear would it..and if i push in the clutch or put it in neutral the sound goes away..only time it does it is in gear when Im slightly pressing/depressing the gas..

Quick Reply: harmonic humming/whistling noise...