S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

hardtop noise - please advise me.

Old 10-04-2001, 04:47 AM
lmt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hardtop noise - please advise me.

I'm evaluating the possibility of buying the hardtop for my S2k.
The main reason is related with the level of noise that the softtop produces after the 120 mph barrier. You just can't speak or listen to some music. Besides this the car is less vulnerable with an hardtop.
I would like to hear from you that have a hardtop how much is it effective regarding noise reduction and inside confort when cruising at high speed (140-150 mph).
Just another info: is it too hard for one stand alone person to install and usinstall the hardtop? What's the wieght of it?
BR,
LMT
Old 10-04-2001, 05:17 AM

I like my hardtop because as you say it enhances the security of the car, i.e. no slashed roof or rear screen.

I will have to admit I haven't been as fast as 150mph with it on but if it is well fitted you should notice a reduction in wind noise. The aerodynamics of the front screen are such that I think the car will still be quite noisy at very high speeds though.

IMO one person cannot remove or replace the hardtop. It is not very heavy but it is too large to manipulate on your own. You need 2 people to lift it off or on the car. It also has 2 very sharp pointed metal shafts that could cause a lot of damage to the car if you drop it or slip while trying to move it...
Old 10-04-2001, 05:52 AM
S2R

Since it's only 44 lbs, I believe one person can remove it. However, you will need to remove one of the seats so you have something flat to stand on for stability and leverage. Then you'll have to have a place in the garage to set it down. If you screw up you'll mess up the car and/or the top.
Old 10-04-2001, 07:41 AM

I love my hardtop as well.

It enhances the looks of the car, it also is as everyone says much quieter. The headroom is excellent and it is indeed light.

I wouldn't try a single person removal, however you might want to rig something up like xviper did to remove it with a hoist. Works great.

Vince
Old 10-05-2001, 05:15 AM
S2R

I'll remove my hardtop by myself this weekend and I'll let you guys know how it went.
Old 10-08-2001, 04:40 AM

Originally posted by S2R
I'll remove my hardtop by myself this weekend and I'll let you guys know how it went.
I don
Old 10-08-2001, 07:20 AM
S2R

[QUOTE]Originally posted by MARCO A
[B]

I don
Old 10-08-2001, 07:37 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally posted by lmt
I'm evaluating the possibility of buying the hardtop for my S2k.
The main reason is related with the level of noise that the softtop produces after the 120 mph barrier. You just can't speak or listen to some music. Besides this the car is less vulnerable with an hardtop.
I would like to hear from you that have a hardtop how much is it effective regarding noise reduction and inside confort when cruising at high speed (140-150 mph).
Just another info: is it too hard for one stand alone person to install and usinstall the hardtop? What's the wieght of it?
BR,
LMT
You are truly lucky if you can drive at sustained high speeds like what you're talking of. In most of N. America, on public roads, if driven at those speeds, it won't be for long; listening to the stereo and conversing with your passenger in an intelligent fashion would be the last things to concern you. You would be more concerned about killing yourself and others and wondering when and where the cops will show up. However, the HT does make high speed driving much more comfortable in terms of noise and sense of security.
That being said, the HT is a hand full for just one person. If you're built like a gorilla and think you can do it, good luck. I personally would not risk dropping a $4000.00 (Can.) hardtop on a $50,000.00 car. Aside from this issue, it does turn the car into a difference looking beast (I like it) and is a must for our winters if you drive it then.
Old 10-08-2001, 01:09 PM
lmt

This is for XVIPER,
I'm sorry not to live in the US, but there are other countries in the world where you have highways with different rules. For example in Germany you have highways without speed limits and five or six lanes. In there you can go as fast as you can with a relative high level of security.
In my country you do have speed limits but still you can go very fast as long as you pay a lot of attention to police cars.
I thank you for giving relavant information for my decision on whether to buy the HT.
Best regards,
LMT
Old 08-26-2009, 04:51 PM

do you know which one of those striker are the good one to use on my 04 s2k with OEM hardtop

Quick Reply: hardtop noise - please advise me.