S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Hardtop Discussion

Old 07-01-2002, 11:36 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Jaded41
[B]Scott, I believe you.
Old 07-01-2002, 11:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Guys-

No worries....

Cheers!
Old 07-03-2002, 12:08 AM

I got mine with a hardtop, can i use a mugen without any modification, and if so, it looks long in the back....can you still open the trunk?!?
Old 07-03-2002, 03:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

got mine for $2,200 from a dealer trying to move it. i think that was about $100 less than cost.
Old 07-03-2002, 04:19 AM

I have the mugen top. You just install the OEM hardtop mounting pieces and bolt it on, no bending or pounding is involved.
It is more work to install the mugen top though because it comes without any hardware, seals, or windows in it (it comes bare) (the window was a pain in the ass to put in)so you have to install all of that and this takes a while (it took me a while at least because i was being very careful) I think it took me about 6 hours to get it on the car. That and the fact that the 15 or so page instruction booklet is all in japanese, so you have to try to figure out what your doing by looking at the pictures.
You do have to adjust your trunk a little so it wont hit the top when it is open, it is a very close fit, but works.

I was told 3 weeks as well but it actually took about a month and a half, but Im a patient guy so it was ok Besides it was worth the wait for this beauty
Old 07-03-2002, 06:00 AM

So let me get this straight, the window seals and such are not already on the hardtop? I'm assumming they at least come with it int he box for me to put on. That seems odd that Mugen wouldn't already have that stuff mounted. I guess it's because you have to get it painted still.

As for there being no pounding or bending of metal to install it, I don't understand. I thought it installed with the same kit as the OEM top and I''ve been told you have to bend a couple peices on the softtop mechanism in order to create enough clearance for the hardtop brackets to slide by. Is this not true for the Mugen top?

Also, how hard is it to get the moldings off that are around the windshield in order to install the new striker plates?
Old 07-03-2002, 06:13 AM

Yes, everthing comes with it, but nothing is on the hardtop when you get it, it is bare. It needs to be this way to be painted anyway.

Yes it uses all OEM hardware, but I didnt have to bend anything. Thats all I know on that subject, since Ive never installed the OEM top.

Its pretty easy to get the mouldings off, just be careful not to scratch the plastic, takes about 10 minutes or so to get them off. Once you remove the map light cover and unscrew the screws in there, everthing can be pried off without too much trouble.
Old 07-03-2002, 06:21 AM

So is the rear lexan window not even already on the hardtop, or were you just referring to the door window seals needing to be mounted?

Also, what do you think of windnoise with the top on. Is it about the same as with the softtop. Or is there any whistling?
Old 07-03-2002, 06:26 AM

Nope the Lexan window is not on the hardtop that must be installed also, that parts kills the ol fingers! heh.
Windnoise is decreased a lot over the soft top. Still not as quiet as say, a coupe. But it is much better. I dont have any whistling problems, if you did you can adjust how it sits on your car to eliminate that.
Old 07-03-2002, 06:33 AM

So why is the lexan window hell on the fingers? What does that process entail? I hope putting this together isn't too much of a pain because I've never been real good at peicing things together and I would assume everything needs to be put on fairly perfectly in order to create a good seal.

In your opinion would it be easy to screw it up, or is it just time consuming but not too hard?

Quick Reply: Hardtop Discussion