S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Hardtop Discussion

Old 06-19-2002, 11:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hardtop Discussion

Ok, a couple questions. First off, what's the cheapest anyone's gotten the hardtop for a 2001 for? (excluding shipping)-and please don't post if it was included in your car purchase from the dealer.

Where did you get it from? Seems like the cheapest I can find is from H and A.

I also want to know who did their own install and what was the most difficult part about it. I don't like doing it myself really, but I want to save money. I have limited tools so I'm just trying to find out if it will be more worth it to have the dealership do it.

Lastly, has anybody heard if King is ever going to carry the fiberglass version of their hardtop? I like the look of it, but I'm not going to pay for a $5,000 carbon fiber one. I've got an email into them about it so I hope they reply.
Old 06-19-2002, 01:31 PM

i did my own install - it took about two and a half hours (no breaks). if i had to do it again, i would, instead of paying for it...it was pretty simple.

i think king has the fiberglass version of their hardtop out already. i think it costs $2500, but i'm not sure what hardware it comes with. if you look on the 'exterior' page of mugen stuff, you should be able to see the price, but i don't think there is a picture.
Old 06-19-2002, 01:33 PM

Installation is different for each year. 2000 requires the most work/parts. You can buy the kits from Trevor at H and A. 2001 doesn't require much other than the installation/wiring of the rear defroster switch. 2001 requires the installation of a relay for the stock rear defroster. So each installation is different. Check with Trevor on the parts you'll need for your MY.
Old 06-19-2002, 01:44 PM

I bought mine last August from the local dealer for about 2900 complete (incl tax & shipping). I told them HandAs price and they said they would beat it. Be aware the package is large. It just fit inside the side rails of my buddie's full size pickup. It wasn't hard to install, only about two or three hours. Just get someone to help you place it on the car. Don't try it alone. Loosen all the bolts like the instructions say, and set it in place.

The only thing I did different than the instructions was to route the harness behind the metal framework rather than in front like the picture shows. This allows the plastic trim pieces behind the driver's seat to snap back in cleanly. It was a bit of a chore, but it was worth it.
Old 06-19-2002, 01:50 PM

Received 70 Likes on 49 Posts

The last I looked, the Mugen FRP (non-Carbon) was at $2600 and they were able to get them within 3 weeks once ordered if they did not have them in stock.

The Mugen hardtop doesn't not have defroster lines, so there is no electrical conncetion that I am aware of, only hardware. Striker plates need to be replaced which come with the hardtop, and latches for the back side of the hardtop are included and need to be installed.

I don't know much about the install but after talking to some people, the Mugen hardware install takes close to three very careful hours, but isn't that complicated.

Paint of the FRP is extra and is dependant on the paint shop you use. The carbon fiber needs no painting but can be painted if desired.

I absolutely love the lines of the hardtop in person, and am indifferent about it on pictures (as compared to the Honda OEM hard top).

I've sat in the big "Z's" black S2K with the Mugen hardtop and the blindspots are very similar to what the car has with the soft top in place. Also with the Mugen hardtop, once you're inside, and the door is closed, you feel like you're in a small cozy knook, moreso than with the soft top in place...but hey I'm a small guy and can deal with it. I don't think any of my friends are over 6'5" that'd ride with me anyway.

**edited to make owner of black Mugen prepped S2K anonymous
Old 06-19-2002, 02:10 PM

Ok, well I talked with King and they do have some of them in stock. I'm seriously thinking of placing my order for the Mugen one this week.

I do remember hearing that you have to bend some metal peices or something on the softtop frame so that the hardtop latches will pass by. Is that hard to do and can it be screwed up easily?

Also, I remember being told that it is hard to get the top to seal on the car originally when you mount the peices or something. Is that all that difficult?
Old 06-19-2002, 02:10 PM

if only the bottom of the Mugen top where it meets the trunk was made so it would look cleaner like the OEM top, and it had a glass rear window with a defroster like the OEM...the Mugen would be great!
Old 06-19-2002, 03:03 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Jaded41
[B]Ok, well I talked with King and they do have some of them in stock.
Old 06-19-2002, 09:23 PM

buy a hard top car. this all sounds like a pain in the a**.

Challenge to manufactures, fix this crappy engineering so that people don't have to pound the crap out the car to get the top in.
Old 06-19-2002, 09:25 PM

someone was trying to get a group buy going in the marketplace forum on $2290 OEM hardtop painted obviously. ilikebeer is who it was.

Quick Reply: Hardtop Discussion