S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Hard time shifting into first/second?

Old 09-17-2011, 11:06 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I haven't even done mine yet, working on windows for my house, I am no expert but I would let it get worked through and see if it helps. ^^
Old 09-17-2011, 01:31 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

could be the clutch slave cylinder.
Old 09-17-2011, 02:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by T-S.M.A.C
could be the clutch slave cylinder.
Could be, but how? I didnt bother poping off the rubber sock that keeps the slave covered, its a pretty simple little device, what could be wrong if its not leaking anywhere? Not even the master is leaking behind the pedal? And i highly reccomend everyone change their clutch fluid, it is super simple and it feels much better now. P.s. the warmer the car gets, the better and better it goes smoothely into first/second which leads me to believe there is nothing major wrong i.e. mangled synchros or gears or anything *shrug* guess ill wait awhile to see what the fresh fluid does...
Old 09-18-2011, 08:35 AM

bump* any progress OP? I think im gonna look at my MT fluid levels and what not.. I filled it till it cryed out of the fill hole on a pretty much level surface.. Anyone hear of over filling and causing problems? I did about 1.75 qts of Honda MTF
Old 09-18-2011, 08:41 AM

I actually took mine to the dealership and they change the clutch fluids and the transmission fluids and it seems to run a lot smoother.
Old 09-18-2011, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by Akkmednoseflem
I actually took mine to the dealership and they change the clutch fluids and the transmission fluids and it seems to run a lot smoother.
SOB! i guess ill be changing trans fluid again even though i just did it... Maybe it was a bad batch??
Old 09-22-2011, 06:36 PM

Update: Its gotten worse Its now an amplified clank while going into second and first is now impossible to get into that just started tonight while going for a drive. Hated the noise so much that I went home fearing it could get worse, I don't know what to do at this point but take it back to the dealership
Old 09-23-2011, 05:18 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have they checked your slave cylinder (and everything else) for leaks? That typically causes problems getting into 1st and even 2nd and probably explains why it seemed okay for a while after they did a fluid change.

Originally Posted by TougeS2k
I have also heard that the s2k simply has a rough short shifter anyway, my first S didn't seem to have this issue though.
It's not rough but a lot of inexperienced people refer to it as notchy.

Originally Posted by TougeS2k
the warmer the car gets, the better and better it goes smoothely into first/second which leads me to believe there is nothing major wrong i.e. mangled synchros or gears or anything *shrug* guess ill wait awhile to see what the fresh fluid does...
That sounds normal to me. Hard to diagnose by reading though.
Old 09-23-2011, 12:23 PM

Haven't taken the car in yet but I spoke to someone from the dealership saying I need a whole new transmission and the syncros need to be changed? I think that's a load of crap, its not the syncros, wouldn't there be some grinding noises? And If I take 1st gear to about 3-4k and then go to second, the clank goes away. And no, they did not check for any leaks but I will make sure they do when I take it in, and my clutch fluid is really really black with debris in it so I will have that changed to.
Old 09-23-2011, 03:43 PM

I had a similar problem with my 00 at around 190k. Started with hard shift into low gear, then second, then third. Got to the point where clutch did not want to fully disengage easily at lower speeds. Took it to a local trans guy. Turned out the be debris from the cluth or pressure plate (cant remember which) causing all problems. He fixed it for around $1200 - $1300. Replaced clutch and pressure plate.

BTW, I tried/ checked slave cylinder, trans fluid, bleeding, etc. before i talked to trans guy. He was surprised at what he found too.

Quick Reply: Hard time shifting into first/second?