S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Hard time shifting into first/second?

Old 09-16-2011, 06:01 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Hard time shifting into first/second?

Hey guys this is the first problem that I have had since I got the car, I noticed a few days ago it was really hard to get into first and second gear. You have to force it to get it in, and when its in, there is an awful clunk coming from under the car and you not only here it, but feel it Any ideas to why this is happening? and if so, how do I fix it? Oh and the year is an 04 with 34,XXX miles. Hope its nothing serious. Thanks
Old 09-16-2011, 06:22 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Does pumping the clutch make it easier? Could need clutch fluid change
Old 09-16-2011, 06:29 PM

No does not make it easier.
Old 09-16-2011, 10:27 PM

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

It sounds like you're clutch isn't fully disengaging. Flush you clutch hydraulics and see if it makes a difference.
Old 09-17-2011, 03:23 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

mine does this shifting to second and third.. its rough and you can feel very very tiny bit of grind sometimes very rarely right?
Old 09-17-2011, 03:51 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When buying a used car,a few things you should consider. First, all fluids needs to be changed to Manufactured specs or (after you do your research) change to your best recommendations. This will ensure you have the right fluid viscosity and weight for each gear box, reservoirs and engine. Second, inspect all spark plugs, filters and adjustments. Third, a GOOD visual from underneath for loose axle bolts, exhaust clamps. leaks, etc. and then Fourth, drive it like you would a DD.

Remember: 'A Problem is ONLY an unsolved result'
Old 09-17-2011, 08:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Akkmednoseflem
Hey guys this is the first problem that I have had since I got the car, I noticed a few days ago it was really hard to get into first and second gear. You have to force it to get it in, and when its in, there is an awful clunk coming from under the car and you not only here it, but feel it Any ideas to why this is happening? and if so, how do I fix it? Oh and the year is an 04 with 34,XXX miles. Hope its nothing serious. Thanks
I have the exact same problem right now... It is when the car is cold especially... First thing i did when i got the car about a month ago was change to Honda MTF. But one thing i havn't done yet is bleed the clutch, i think im gonna do that today. As for now i just throw the shifter into second or third even before going into first. Check out the DIY on how to bleed clutch and we can post results.
Old 09-17-2011, 09:15 AM

Thanks for all the help guys really appreciate it. And the previous owner said he had changed the transmission fluid, and the dealership said it was OK, but I think I will give that clutch bleed a shot.
Old 09-17-2011, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by Akkmednoseflem
Thanks for all the help guys really appreciate it. And the previous owner said he had changed the transmission fluid, and the dealership said it was OK, but I think I will give that clutch bleed a shot.

Bleeding the clutch is easy. Also, look up the shifter regreasing. It's easy and probably not your issue but it's good maintenance while you're already getting dirty.
Old 09-17-2011, 10:36 AM

some bad news. Just changed clutch fluid, crystal clear, first gear still seems to have a chunky engagement, may feel a tiiiiiny bit better so hopfully as the fluid gets worked through it will get better?? Otherwise i guess i can try Amsoil Synchromesh?? Any other ideas anyone? I have also heard that the s2k simply has a rough short shifter anyway, my first S didn't seem to have this issue though.

**symptom still: rough 1st gear engagement from a stop, clunk when getting into gear, slight roll forward as it goes in***

Quick Reply: Hard time shifting into first/second?