S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Hard shifting into 5th gear - update

Old 09-03-2002, 11:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hard shifting into 5th gear - update

Hey,

Car is right now at the dealer to look at the problem I had shifting into 5th gear. Apparently there is a TSB relating to this TSB-02-046 issued 7/30/2002. There has been an issue with difficulty shifting the car into either 5th or reverse. The problem seems to stem from the car thinking you're trying to get it into reverse and locking you out of 5th - how it affects getting you into reverse I don't know but it sounded like it was something with the springs when you push down on the shift knob to get it into reverse. Now that the mechanic told me about this and I think about it, the car always has had a hard time getting into reverse too. Sounds like this "should" do the trick. We'll see. I was also hoping to have the clutch TSB done but he doesn't seem to think that's where the rattle is coming from - so it doesn't look like I'll be able to get a new clutch.

I'll try and get a copy of TSB-046 when I'm there.
Old 09-03-2002, 11:25 AM
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I find my clutch pedal rattles at about 3-4K RPM when decelerating. Try putting your foot on the pedal when it happens and see if it stops. I have no idea how to fix it tho.
Old 09-03-2002, 11:30 AM

Verrrrrry interesting. I'll be sure to get something on my permanent record about having a one-time problem getting into fifth, just in case it happens again.

Thanks, and please do post the TSB if you can,

Ted
Old 09-03-2002, 01:34 PM

NOT HAPPY!!! Just got the call from David Hobbs. The TSB for the hard shifting 5th didn't work and they have to rebuild the tranny!!! I don't know what this all entails or what will be involved/included in the work but I'll be finding out shortly. They're getting me a rental. With any luck it will be something really cool and fast like a Grand Am
Old 09-03-2002, 05:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE]Originally posted by RU2KREDY
[B]NOT HAPPY!!!
Old 09-03-2002, 06:29 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by RU2KREDY
[B]NOT HAPPY!!!
Old 12-05-2002, 12:26 PM

I've copied this from a post I read two days ago because I can't find the link:

[Quote >>]
Here's the story...
I took my car into Keys Woodland Hills Honda for a variety of things.
1) Oil Change
2) Convertible not latching correctly, hence air leak over drivers side area over 75mph
3) Spark plug recall
4) Deceleration noise from 3rd or 2nd gear.
5) Transmission problem? Notchy gears, hard to get into 5th, 2nd, 1st or reverse.
6) Rear end pop/click noise when neutral to start forward motion or reverse motion. Basically, when starting out in 1st, I'd hear a short clicking noise from the rear or when I stop and then go into reverse, same thing. Anything to do with an initial force to the driveline, there's a couple of audible clicks or pops then goes away.

Conclusion/results,
1) Cost me $26.95 (thanks to 10% off Honda Club membership)
2) Adjusted convertible, no air leak anymore.
3) Replaced spark plugs
4) Performed TSB 00-054 (I pretty much think everyone knows about this one already).
5) Performed TSB 02-046 (This is new that I didn't know about and not in s2ki.com faq list of service bulletins). Sorry if this was a known bulletin to everyone before and this is a repost but I never heard of this one yet. Maybe this supersedes TSB55? Pics of bulletin down below.
6) Performed "NOTE" from Honda for solution. Basically replace spindle nut on axle and torque to 220 lb-ft. Didn't know about this "NOTE" either. Pics of NOTE below.

I'm glad to say that they fixed everything intended and only charged me for the oil change. It took them 2-3 days to do.

TSB 02-046 and rear axle pop/creak NOTE was completely unexpected to me. I've never heard of these findings before and they are not in the list of service bulletins on this site.

Anybody else knew about these before?

TSB 02-046:

lets focus in on this little gem...
Old 12-06-2002, 03:43 AM
Banned

I was just going to say that it says in the manual that anytime the axle nut is removed, it has to be replaced. there is a notch in the axle that the nut is crimped onto. also, I have read a couple different threads of the axle breaking due to overtorquing the nut.
Old 12-06-2002, 04:12 AM

Originally posted by 1a-race
I was just going to say that it says in the manual that anytime the axle nut is removed, it has to be replaced. there is a notch in the axle that the nut is crimped onto. also, I have read a couple different threads of the axle breaking due to overtorquing the nut.
technically the nut needs to be replaced but realistically, it's reused the majority of the time.
Old 12-06-2002, 05:48 AM
Banned

Originally posted by vapors2k

technically the nut needs to be replaced but realistically, it's reused the majority of the time.
yes i've reused it myself when i changed my drivers side axle but in this instance you can hold honda accountable for any damages if they dont follow the manual.

Quick Reply: Hard shifting into 5th gear - update