S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Hard right hand turns

Old 08-03-2007, 06:33 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Since your car is realitively new, i'm in doubt that parts like CV joints or wheel bearings are the culprit.

When you take a turn, your outer tires will turn slightly faster then your inner. Therefore I'm throwing in the diff as one area that might need to be looked at.
Old 08-03-2007, 11:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unfortunately, the problem is still there. Those of you who have the same issue are describing my problem exactly. It has to be more the coincidence since it is only on hard right turns. I also noticed that if I take a hard turn with the car in neutral (I get up to 45MPH and coast through the hard right turn) I don't hear the sound... I'll hit the turn a little harder to verify. Anyway, this is making me question whether or not it is the differential even though my ear says it's coming from the front left wheel... I've read a few post about issues with the bolts on the wheel drive shaft and CV joints but I'm not sure. Anyway, I will take the car into Honda early next week. They should be able to fix the issue since I can easily replicate it. I'll let you guys know, I hope it's something simple. I've got low miles on my car and it sounds like a few of you guys do too. This is killing my driving enjoyment.
Old 08-06-2007, 07:25 AM

Well, I just dropped my car off at Clasic Honda in Round Rock, Texas. I was able to give the mechanic a good demonstartion of the sound but it was very different today. I took him to an empty parking lot and drove in a right-hand circle. This time it sounded like a ticking sound. When I was on the gas it made the sound when I was off the gas it didn't. His inital though was that the ticking was just a viberation or the engine so I did the same thing but this time a left-handed circle. He confirmed that he heard the sound going right but not left. He said he has no idea what the issue is but felt confident that he would find the problem. I'll let you guys know what I find out.

FYI - Even though my car is still under the factory warrenty, the service writer told me that Honda would only pay for my loaner car if they found a faulty part needing replacement and had the part on hand or could get it withen 24 hours... If it is just an adjustment or they have to order a part that will take a few days to get then I have to pay for the loaner myself, regardless if the repair or adjustment is covered under warrenty. I don't get it, Iveryone gives loaners under factory repairs. I got the impression that the service writer felt I was just being picky about the sound. Fortunatly the machanic took it seriusly. This isn't just a vibration or anoiance, something is mechanicly wrong (but hopefully easily repairable).
Old 08-10-2007, 08:19 AM

Honda says that they believe the sound is coming from the transmission. They say that there is a harness that is no longer fastened. Unfortunately, they have determined that the transmission on my car was at some point removed. They also noticed that a few other modifications had been made. They are under the impression that an exhaust system and an after market clutch were installed. The car only had 18k when I bought it so I can't see any other reason they would take the transmission out... Anyway, Honda wont warranty the transmission now. I went back to the dealer I bought it from and told them I wanted my $ back. They talked to Honda and asked them what needed to be done to get the transmission under warranty. Honda said that they will need to pull the transmission and replace any non-factory parts. This will give the transmission a 12x12 warranty (I have 12 months left on my factory warranty as well). They also offered to give me 100% credit back but only for their dealership. I checked out the 3 350Z they had but I just can't make myself go for that car, there are just too many on the road. I told them I want a full refund and not just for there lot. The G.M. is out until Monday but I am scheduled to work with him. He would need to make the call. Honda has the parts and a bay ready for Monday if I take that route.

When I bought the car I specifically told the salesman that I wanted a car with a factory warranty, not a 3rd part or extended, this is how I decided on the S2000. I had this conversation with the Salesman and finance manager and both remember it so I am giving them hell to get my $ back. I really like this car and would probably be happy with the transmission repair but I am worried that the guy who had this car before me may have modified more then just the transmission. I can tell that the front nose has been removed but who knows what for... I just don't want to risk having issues in the future.
Old 08-15-2007, 12:36 PM

It tuns out that the sound was due to a few issues. There where 2 tailshaft bolts missing, a missing wire harness bracket and a missing clutch fork boot. They took it all apart to insure that nothing inside the transmission was changed and put everything back together, including new gaskets and the missing parts. Honda agrees that the transmission is now back under the factory warranty (about a year left). The dealer I got the car from paid the $1204.83 bill for the inspection and repair. Not only is the sound gone, the powertrain is much quieter (probably due to the boot and properly fastened transmission and wire harness). I am once again happy with my S2000 .

It's still a little curious about the clown who owned the car before me. I am thinking he had exhaust and a performance clutch then hastily replaced the OEM stuff when he traded it in. He probably thought the extra parts were nothing important .
Old 08-15-2007, 06:24 PM

Could you summarize what the issue was again?
To my understanding, it looks like it was a trasmission issue, right?
Could it be the CDV removal mod?
cuz I don't have any aftermarket parts installed on mine besides the koni shocks and an exhaust.
And I might be crazy, but I think I've noticed this issue after I got my exhaust.
It really is annoying.

Dan
Old 08-16-2007, 08:25 AM

I'll try to describe the sound as well as the issue found.
Problem - When I would make hard right turns and was on the gas I would hear a rubbing/ticking sounds that would get progressively loader the harder I turned and the more gas I gave it. If I would coast through a turn I would not hear anything.

Diagnoses- two bolts that hold the transmission to the engine were missing. When I would make a hard right turn and give the car gas, the torque would cause the transmission and engine to slightly separate. Fortunately, the bolts where not stripped, they were just never put back in.

The dealer checked the CDV and everything was stock. They partially opened the transmission to insure nothing had been modified. There was a small oil leak near the tail shaft so they removed the end of the transmission for closer inspection. This required a re-seal when they put it back together (using Hondaseal). The Honda tech said that he believes that the previous owner may have modified the CDV (very common mod) but that the transmission removal would indicate that a performance clutch was installed. The inner parts of the transmission had no evidence of tampering. The tail shaft issue was likely due to the transmission removal. He feels the missing clutch fork boot and harness mounts (on the transmission) also points towards a clutch modification.

The exhaust system from the CAT back had also been removed. The evidence was clear on the bolts and hangers.

The previous owner had some mods done to the car. When he went to trade it in he attempted to remove all of his mods but didn't do a very good job.

FYI - I have heard a few people complain about the same sound under similar circumstances but they all thought it was the rear axle nut. I checked mine and it was torqued properly, you may want to check yours. It also may be worth checking you transmission/engine bolt torque (if your symptoms are similar). It is aluminum so be careful not to strip anything out.

Let me know if you need any more information, I kept the repair ticket, it says pretty much what I did but includes the list of parts...