S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Hard to get into reverse (2007, 42K miles)

Old 02-18-2011, 01:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hard to get into reverse (2007, 42K miles)

When I bought my 2007 S2K 1.5 years ago, it had 17K miles, and every once in a while it would not go into reverse. I found that if I apply a little pressure to reverse, and lift up the clutch pedal just a tad, the car would go into reverse without any issues. Took it to the dealer, and they said that is normal. I informed them that I had an ’06 S2K before this, and it never had this issue over the 25K miles that I drove it.

They claimed that there is no syncro for reverse (true because there is only 1 reverse gear!), and that is the way it is supposed to be. So these guys just aren’t motivated to fix my car.

Now with 42K miles on the car, the problem happens about 50% of the time. I need to get this fixed before I hit the 50K drive train warranty mark.

Any advice from the crew? Is there something you guys know that will help me get this dealer to fix it? If not, I guess I will try a different dealer, but that is an hour away.

Thanks.
Old 02-18-2011, 01:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Definitely try a different dealer if you can. Also take the time to show them the issue you have with Reverse. And not to sound like I'm making fun, but you are pushing down to put it into Reverse right?
Old 02-18-2011, 01:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does it happen if you put the car in 2nd before you move to reverse?

All of the Hondas I've owned never went into reverse easily, so I always put the shifter in 2nd before moving to reverse.
Old 02-18-2011, 01:57 PM

I found that some people abuse reverse by throwing it in while the car is still moving forward...could be the reason for your problem.

I think the solution is to either go into a different gear first, then into R or allow the clutch to slghtly engage and click your gear in.
Old 02-18-2011, 02:48 PM

Received 3,799 Likes on 2,677 Posts

two things, do a double clutch when going into reverse from a forward gear - Pull shifter into neutral, let clutch out, push clutch in and then put shifter into reverse.

If you have a chance do the shifter lube procedure as per the TSB, it helps with 5th gear and reverse and just plain feels better in all gears.
Old 02-19-2011, 04:45 AM

I have this exact problem on my 2003.

I understand its easy to just avoid and get around by holding the shifter back while in reverse, But its an annoyance that should be resolved if your under warranty. I however, am way beynd my warranty limitations lol. Im sure every dealer knows they can replace your trans under powertrain to cure your issue, but the problem is, which dealer is going to want to take on that warranty expense?

My suggestion is find a new dealer, and if they tell you no as well, call Honda of America and complain and complain until you get your way. Your car is udner powertrain warranty, and its exibiting a condition that is not "normal operation"
Old 02-19-2011, 08:51 AM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

I'm well beyond my warranty and this happens probably 1 in 5 times. Only from a cold start mind you.

I go 1,2 and reverse. I've not has much issue after that. When summer comes around it's almost never a problem and warm from a good drive and it just slides in their like a dirty whore.

I'm also not sure there is 'much to fix' as I'm not sure what would be broken that causes this. You should PM billman.
Old 02-19-2011, 11:33 AM

I have this problem occasionally too. Usually I just put it back in neutral, clutch out, then try again. That always seems to work. It appears to be a common problem but I don't think you could call it "normal".
Old 02-19-2011, 12:07 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Your trans oil may be low. I had an issue like it was sticking getting into reverse. It was a little past the mileage for a change and after I had that done the problem went away. Don't know if it was related but couldn't hurt to change anyway.
Old 02-19-2011, 12:37 PM

I had this happen to me when I first bought my car. It happened w first and reverse. I changed my tranny fluid and regreased my shifter and never came back.

Quick Reply: Hard to get into reverse (2007, 42K miles)