S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Half shaft spacers.

Old 01-26-2008, 12:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by negcamber,Jan 26 2008, 06:36 AM
Absolutely true. Spacers can fix the vibration. But swapping the CV buckets also fixes the problem and costs nothing. And unless you buy 2-piece spacers (like the J's), the amount of effort to install the spacers and swap the CV buckets are exactly the same.
I got the t1r as they are easy as pie to install
Old 01-26-2008, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by AP_ONE,Jan 26 2008, 08:48 AM
Yes but still none the less, many people that had a vibration, have bought the spacers and thus have solved it. So they are useful no matter how or how not useful you may say or think they are.

If your fine without them great, if you run them great!
It's your car, and your money, so it's your call. You can also paint your car pink if you like. Spacers will stop the vibration caused by pits worn in the cups. No doubt about it. But swapping the cups left to right solves the problem too, and you already have the cups on the car, hence you don't need to buy anything. For this reason I see the spacers as nothing more than a way to part a fool from his money. Typical snake oil marketing.
Old 01-26-2008, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by AP_ONE,Jan 26 2008, 04:53 PM
I got the t1r as they are easy as pie to install
Again.

I think this was discussed earlier in the thread. In theory you could (or might be able to) extend the life of your CV joints by adding spacers when they start to vibrate, then when they wear a new spot and start vibrating again, you could flip the cups. As long as none of the three configurations put the old wear patterns in an unfavorable location, you could get three times the cup life (instead of the two times you get by flipping the cups). If our cars ate through the cups at a high rate, that would make a lot of sense, and be worthwhile, but new cups, or relocated cups (that are starting a new wear pattern) are (normally) going to last 70,000 miles or more. Just flipping the cups doubles that, and replacing the entire inner CV joint assembly every 100,000-140,000 miles is no big deal.

I also prefer to stick with the stock layout, because there is one less point where things can fail. The simplest solution is almost always the best solution.
Old 01-27-2008, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by RED MX5,Jan 26 2008, 11:25 PM
I also prefer to stick with the stock layout, because there is one less point where things can fail. The simplest solution is almost always the best solution.
I do agree with that!

also this thread was very useful already a while ago for me!
Old 01-28-2008, 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by McHeizer,Jan 27 2008, 09:51 PM
I do agree with that!

also this thread was very useful already a while ago for me!
You know, if the (split) spacers were being sold as an easier alternative to swapping the buckets it would be a different matter, but once a manufacturer or reseller has tried to con me, I never trust them again, beause of what the con tells me about their business ethics. I prefer to buy from companies and people who I know I can trust. Not every vendor who has sold spacers knew it was a scam, but you know full well that the people making the things (and the people making up the snake oil sales pitches they used to market the things) have proven themselves unreliable.
Old 04-03-2008, 09:32 AM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Just to pitch in my $.02 of info on the lowering vs. cv wear issue, I finally had to do the cv swap on my car. Here is a brief history of my suspension...all the while being driven the same way = spirited on group drives and mountain/canyon runs. No track days, but VTEC'd and rode hard daily.

Driven until 50k miles on OEM setup.

Installed Eibach Pro-Kit @ 50k, 1" drop.

164k decided to do the CV swap after conferring with XViper and others about the vibration. Found typical pitting and the swap worked like a charm per the DIY.

So, I had alot of miles on one particular section of the CV bucket before lowering the car. It still took over 110k miles (no joke) until I felt the telltale vibration of the CV wear. I don't know of too many other S2Ks with as many miles as I have on mine and do most all of the work myself. I've benefitted from discussing any problems at length with the old-timers on here and consider myself one of them. I'm happy to share what I know and hope it helps the discussion.

As for spacers........I've seen them on some of the cars I've worked on. They look neat. I don't need them though.

Currently @ 172k and counting......

-Hockey
Old 04-03-2008, 06:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im not sure if this was mentioned before, but mine started vibrating at 35k. More horsepower accelerates the problem. My new issue is torn axle boots. Im going to add the spacers while im there to see if it could possibly help my boot issue.
Old 04-09-2008, 04:36 AM

Originally Posted by AJR LKF,Nov 14 2007, 05:09 AM
Too many pages to read so im not sure if im reposting. apologies if i am.

I bought my s2k almost a month now, went from an itr to s2k.

I had some vibration issues under load after i lowered the car. I can say im quite a noob to the s2 and after researching and suggestions from muiltiple shops, the vibrations were caused by the driveshaft or the diff but no one was certain.

The vibration comes from accelerating under a heavier load. You can feel the whole car vibrate and shake to the point u dont want to accelerate.

Under no accel, the car wont vibrate at all.

I was prepped to purchasing new driveshafts and possible the whole rear end just to be safe BUT......

I decided to try out the halfshaft spacers first. Mainly here on s2ki, ive read many of you say these are quite useless and a waste of money.

After research, i only saw one clear post of a member here that simple said "i had vibrations while driving but after installed spacers, vibration went away."

So i thought a hundred-ish bucks for the spacers, might as well try em out, better that over a grand for new shafts and diff etc.

Install was super easy, took less than 30 mins to install and torqued to spec thanks to my awesome mechanic.

After install, vibrations were all gone, car is smooth as a babies ass.

The spacers were developed for a reason, logically, every lil bit would help the car and the life span of the driveshaft. This piece isn't very expensive either. Whether it can cure your vibration problems like mine, or simply an add on to your mods, i think its very worth installing.

Conclusion, heavy load after lowered car caused major vibrations to the car, halfshaft spacers have cured that problem thus i'm more than happy

Again sorry if i reposted this conclusion, 8 pages was just very long to read

(Halfshaft spacers: T1R Forged)

Cheers,
Sam
+1 i get my T1R Race Version Spacers in Today hope my Vibration goes away as well good input
Old 04-09-2008, 09:01 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

WHERES A GOOD PLACE TO GET THE SPACERS?
Old 04-09-2008, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by rugsr,Apr 9 2008, 09:01 AM
WHERES A GOOD PLACE TO GET THE SPACERS?
evasivemotorsports.com tell jhon mike sent u me i got my t1r race version spacers for $180 shipped to my house order them yesterday gonna recieve them today i love evasivemotorsports great service quality parts

Quick Reply: Half shaft spacers.