S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Had a loose tube -- what's this called? (Pic inside)

Old 06-28-2002, 04:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Had a loose tube -- what's this called? (Pic inside)

I had my TSB 54 (buzzing on deceleration) done last week and shortly after I got it back, Check Engine light came on. I looked under the hood and saw this:

I reconnected the loose tube and reset the ECU/Check Engine Light (via instructions in S2ki's helpful Library), and the check engine light hasn't come back.

My question though, is what is this tube for? My car was running fine (seemingly) while it was disconnected with the exception of the check-engine light. Any damage from having it disconnected for about 200 miles of driving? Thanks to anyone who can help!
Old 06-28-2002, 05:23 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

It's all part of the air injection system. That tube eventually goes to that little white in-line filter thing you see at the lower left of the picture. From there, it goes into some kind of device that is hidden under the stock air filter. This "device" is about the size a big orange. The system assists in emissions by helping the catalyst to heat up faster (I think).
Old 06-28-2002, 07:07 PM

If that's the case, then chances are very low that any damage would've been done with the short distance you drove. In fact, it's common amongst 94-96 Impalas to have the air pump completely fail altogether (amongst a WHOLE BUNCH OF OTHER GM PARTS). Most of the time people drive around without even knowing that it's broken b/c it doesn't always throw a check engine light (the Impalas that is). I've driven around before on two different occassions (yes it broke more than once) for about a year at a time with a broken air pump, and the car is still good to go at 94,000 miles.

Xviper, you're right.. it's supposed to help heat up the catalytic converter at startup.
Old 06-28-2002, 10:27 PM

Thanks guys, very informative!
Old 06-29-2002, 04:06 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Out of curiosity, what's the little white filter-looking doo-hickey inline with the hose? Is it a filter, one-way trap, something else? What's it there for?
Old 06-29-2002, 11:24 AM

Steve, where did you have your TSB done? how long did they have your car? im gonna have mine done before i put my blower in so that they wont see it

Mike
Old 06-29-2002, 11:41 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by DJHohum
[B]Steve, where did you have your TSB done? how long did they have your car? im gonna have mine done before i put my blower in so that they wont see it
Old 06-29-2002, 05:51 PM

I think the little white thing is a check valve (one way valve.)
Old 06-29-2002, 08:31 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Not to worry no damage!!!

The vacuum line in the picture is linked to the pulsed secondary air injection system. This system diverts air into the exhaust manifold when the car is cold. If you had tried to pass emissions when the car was cold you wouldn't have....other the that your fine. Xviper is correct in that this particlar hose would head off to the "white valve". This is a one way check valve. It is used in conjusctiuon with the air solenoid valve to assure the secondary air system is properly pressurized before the air solenoid valve opens.

Utah
Old 07-12-2003, 04:07 PM

can someone please re post this picture i think i may have a similar problem.

Quick Reply: Had a loose tube -- what's this called? (Pic inside)