S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Growing oil level concerns.

Old 11-14-2015, 11:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Growing oil level concerns.

3000 miles ago I did my first ever oil change on this car. I added about 5.8 quarts of oil, and saw it was above the H by accident. Oops. I left it, not a huge overfill and here we are 3000 miles later switching to winter oil, and I added 1 single jug of 5 quart Mobile 1 0w-30 and the dipstick is reading well above the H. I drained all the oil, there was NOTHING coming out when I put the bolt back in, and yet after just 5 quarts the dipstick is telling me I f@#ked up. Car starts, and idles just fine. No white smoke, or funny noises. MAYBE Im just paranoid since this dipstick is SO HARD to read, but any advice helps. 5 quarts is not an overfill, right?!

Totally stock.
Old 11-14-2015, 12:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not sure what i just read... If you over filled but not by much you will be fine. Seems as if you have an Ap1 that will burn the excess eventually.. They have regularly taken 5.5 to 6 quarts to put the oil on the top X of the dipstick. The owners manual has been wrong for years. Let the Oil cycle then read the dip stick. Chances are the oil is so clean its hard to see on the dip stick. Hope this helps.
Old 11-14-2015, 12:07 PM

Sorry if it was confusing. Basically I just changed the oil again, and I only put 5 quarts in it. I took a dipstick reading after putting in that 5 quarts and the level says its well above the H. I just drove it to the autoparts store to dump my old oil and everything was fine, again no smoke or noise. Right now, you're right its too clean to read. So I will wait till I can read it and add a 1/2 quart if I have to I guess?
Old 11-14-2015, 12:18 PM

Received 3,799 Likes on 2,677 Posts

It won't be possible to overfill with 5 quarts if changing the filter at the same time. I agree the dipstick is hard to read and you need to get used to reading it accurately. Mobil1 is almost colourless on the dipstick, use a magnifying glass to look at it or roll it on a paper towel to see the actual level. Read it about 5 minutes after shutdown when hot, remove the dipstick and wipe it off , then reinsert it and then take the reading. Don't take the first reading after pulling out the dipstick.
Old 11-14-2015, 12:34 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You changed the filter, put the car back level and started the car and let it run a bit before (turning the car off and) checking the oil level, correct?

Also, you cleaned the dipstick between checks, correct?

Those are the only things I can think of that could cause your oil to be reading that high after 5 qts.
Old 11-14-2015, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by TerminatioN
You changed the filter, put the car back level and started the car and let it run a bit before (turning the car off and) checking the oil level, correct?

Also, you cleaned the dipstick between checks, correct?

Those are the only things I can think of that could cause your oil to be reading that high after 5 qts.
Yes to all! Grr, guess I'm just over-analyzing this crappy dipstick/Mobile 1 mix.
Old 11-14-2015, 12:51 PM
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Received 554 Likes on 506 Posts

Old 11-14-2015, 02:15 PM

Received 1,403 Likes on 840 Posts

Read both sides. The side that showed the oil level above the H after a 5 quart jug is reading high due to oil being picked up from the windage tray. The other side will read correct (basically always read the low side)

If you guys want a tip, sandblast or glass bead the end of the dipstick. Makes a dramatic difference when reading new clean oil.
Old 11-14-2015, 03:19 PM

Received 3,799 Likes on 2,677 Posts

^ bead blasting the dipstick is a great idea, I have that on my list of things to do still. I run Red Line oil though and it comes out of the bottle quite dark, it shows up quite well on the dipstick.
Old 11-14-2015, 06:37 PM

Received 1,753 Likes on 1,045 Posts

Originally Posted by Billman250
If you guys want a tip, sandblast or glass bead the end of the dipstick. Makes a dramatic difference when reading new clean oil.
I did not have access to a blaster so I used some fine sandpaper and dulled the finish. It does make reading the stick much easier; I also use Mobil 1 0W-30.

Quick Reply: Growing oil level concerns.