S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Grinding Sound at Start-Up

Old 10-01-2009, 05:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by S2Kevinn,Oct 1 2009, 11:29 AM
Definitely doesn't sound like that. Sounds more like when you try to start a car that's already started.

Today I tried lightly pushing the starter button to start the car and the car didn't make the sound. Should I still be concerned?
is it a high pitched grinding sound? probably the starter.
Old 10-01-2009, 06:10 PM

I'm guessing it's the starter. Yet, I'm a SoCal resident, so "cold" nights don't really apply. Nothing below 60 degrees here.
Old 10-02-2009, 06:51 PM

Does it sound like rocks in a wheel barrel? When I first got my car the starter sounded a little rough, but almost normal, but after about a week it started to literraly sound like rocks being thrown into a wheel barrel. Once it no longer started I took it in and it was infact the starter that was bad. Hope this helps you out.
Old 10-02-2009, 11:41 PM

Originally Posted by S2Kevinn,Oct 1 2009, 11:29 AM
Definitely doesn't sound like that. Sounds more like when you try to start a car that's already started.

Today I tried lightly pushing the starter button to start the car and the car didn't make the sound. Should I still be concerned?
Know this sound,had it on my '00 S,it never occurred when I remembered to push the start button lightly.I called it "starter over-run."
Old 10-13-2009, 11:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I drive my car every day. I've started the car thousands of times and never had this noise. Sounds like a gear grind, but it's kinda different. Just about a month ago, I'd started getting this sound. Usually in the cold. It happens 1 out of 3-4 times. Now, it getting worst, it now happens almost every time. and it's louder. And the grind is longer too. Sometime, I tried to hold the start button longer, vs other times, I'd let go pretty fast. The car starts fine. The engine sounds healty. There were no hesitation or interruption. The sound only occurrs when the cars sits for a long period of time, or when it's colder weather. Does it sound like the starter is going?
Old 10-14-2009, 12:17 AM

Originally Posted by ssfiit,Oct 13 2009, 11:14 PM
I drive my car every day. I've started the car thousands of times and never had this noise. Sounds like a gear grind, but it's kinda different. Just about a month ago, I'd started getting this sound. Usually in the cold. It happens 1 out of 3-4 times. Now, it getting worst, it now happens almost every time. and it's louder. And the grind is longer too. Sometime, I tried to hold the start button longer, vs other times, I'd let go pretty fast. The car starts fine. The engine sounds healty. There were no hesitation or interruption. The sound only occurrs when the cars sits for a long period of time, or when it's colder weather. Does it sound like the starter is going?
When mine did it,I just figured that the starter button was sticking.But mine went away after I started being more gently with da button.I had about 69k miles at the time.
Old 10-14-2009, 09:47 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A starter typically makes two types of grinding sounds depending on WHEN it happens.

The first sound occurs IMMEDIATELY when you try to start. This is the 'bendix' (the gear/clutch assembly on the starter shaft) NOT moving quickly enough to engage the flywheel before the starter begins spinning. Typically this noise is the higher pitched of the two since the starter motor is already spinning and is now trying to force a spinning bendix gear into a stationery flywheel gear (big time grinding and the more severe of the two problems I'm describing).

The second sound occurs AFTER you release the start button. This is the bendix NOT disengaging from the flywheel quickly enough and the engine then driving the starter and grinding the bendix gears as it finally disengages. This is the lower pitched sound of the two.

In either case, both problems are caused by a worn/sticking bendix.

Finally, if you let either problem continue for very long, you will damage the teeth on the flywheel gear, which will require dropping the transmission to repair..
Old 10-14-2009, 11:33 AM

can someone inform me what a tct is...i get that playing card in the spokes noise on every start up
Old 10-14-2009, 11:34 AM

also, can you replace the bendix itself?
Old 10-14-2009, 12:53 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR159,Oct 14 2009, 12:47 PM
A starter typically makes two types of grinding sounds depending on WHEN it happens.

The first sound occurs IMMEDIATELY when you try to start. This is the 'bendix' (the gear/clutch assembly on the starter shaft) NOT moving quickly enough to engage the flywheel before the starter begins spinning. Typically this noise is the higher pitched of the two since the starter motor is already spinning and is now trying to force a spinning bendix gear into a stationery flywheel gear (big time grinding and the more severe of the two problems I'm describing).

The second sound occurs AFTER you release the start button. This is the bendix NOT disengaging from the flywheel quickly enough and the engine then driving the starter and grinding the bendix gears as it finally disengages. This is the lower pitched sound of the two.

In either case, both problems are caused by a worn/sticking bendix.

Finally, if you let either problem continue for very long, you will damage the teeth on the flywheel gear, which will require dropping the transmission to repair..
This was excellent. I have the 2nd description of the problem. I just ordered a new starter. Honda quoted me $469 to do the job. I'm hoping that my aftermarket extended warranty will cover it. I really don't want to have to replace the flywheel too by leaving a bad starter on there too long.

Quick Reply: Grinding Sound at Start-Up