S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Grinding sensation/Noise While Turning

Old 03-10-2013, 12:01 PM

Received 3,543 Likes on 2,545 Posts
Default Grinding sensation/Noise While Turning

After winter storage I have just taken the car for a couple drives. I first noticed that the steering effort was higher than normal at low speeds with low levels of power assist, and then on a second drive I started getting a grinding noise / shuddering sensation while turning the wheels at stationary and low speed - left and right. From inside the cabin it seems to be coming from the driver side.

I put the car was on jackstands and I can hear a bit of a whirling noise in the area of the torque sensor while turning the wheels with the engine turned off, but it doesn't seem too bad. The front end turns pretty smooth. There doesn't seem to be any noise from the balljoints or tie rod ends that I can tell, all of the boots on the balljoints are in good condition, no tears or grease seepage.

With the car running you can't seem to hear anything on the outside of the car or from the engine bay. I had someone turning the wheels while I had my ear beside the wheels an in the engine bay. But there is a grinding noise / shuddering sensation as you turn the steering wheel in a stationary position with the engine running that is most evident from inside the vehicle.

Turning the wheels with the engine off and the wheels on the ground seems normal. The steering rack itself seems to turn smoothly. The car turns and handles fine at normal driving speeds and the steering effort actually seems fine at higher speeds too with higher levels of steering assist, the issues are all at stationary and low speeds and most evident from inside the vehicle.

Does anyone have any advice on what may be the issue ?. Is there a reset procedure that I can do for the torque sensor ?. The car was on jackstands for about 6 weeks while I was working on the car prior to dropping it down for the end of winter season but I didn't do any work around the steering rack or suspension. I can't tell if there are any EPS codes as my instrument cluster is out for servicing right now. Thanks for any replies.
Old 03-10-2013, 03:10 PM

Received 3,543 Likes on 2,545 Posts

I reset the pcm just in case the EPS system threw a code and I took the car for a longer drive. The problem seems to have cleared up, maybe having the car on jackstands for a long time created some rust in the balljoints and squeezed the grease around, and driving the car may have cleared that up. I hope it stays smooth from this point on.