S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Grinding/Rattle from tranny after clutch flywheel.

Old 01-18-2005, 06:48 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Grinding/Rattle from tranny after clutch flywheel.

I picked up my car from a shop yesterday. It was getting both toda flywheel and clutch disk installed. After the install I kept hearing a wierd grinding noise coming from the transmission on downrevs. We lifted the car and the noise is always there, but loouder on the downrev. I don't think the flywheel or clutch has anything to do with it because the noise seems to be coming just before the driveshaft begins. We took the drivshaft off and kept it running and could clearly hear the noise coming from the rear of the tranny. The guys at the shop have no clue, they never heard anything like that before.

Anyone experience this problem before? what could it be? Any help would be greatly appreciated, I'm scared to drive the car because it sounds like something is getting ready to snap off.
Old 01-18-2005, 08:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

are the bolts that connect the driveshaft to the output shaft on the tranny tight? if you don't get them very tight, they have a tendancy to loosen over time and cause weird noises
Old 01-18-2005, 10:20 AM

They are tight, we made sure of that when we disconnected the driveshaft to see if it was causing the noise. Even with the driveshaft off the noise was there. It sounds like the gears are grinding together. One person thinks it may be the sincros. I have no clue. Could it be the tranny fluid? The flywheel is lighter, would I need to get thicker fluid to work.
Old 01-18-2005, 11:10 AM

Spoke to honda dealer that I bought the car at, and I have an appointment for tomorrow. Have not told them that I have an aftermarket clutch and flywheel, and I do have warranty on the car. Will the warranty be voided due to the aftermarket parts. The noise doesn't seem to be coming from the area of the clutch, and it can't be the flywheel because it isn't even part of the tranny. The noise is coming from the area in which the gears are located, right before the driveshaft. The guy I spoke to seems like a nice guy, and hopefully they cover it even though it has aftermarket parts.
Old 01-18-2005, 11:38 AM

there is a secondary reduction gear in the rear of the tranny, it may be damaged. have you checked the fluid level in the transmission and only used honda manual transmission fluid in there?
Old 01-19-2005, 05:43 AM

I have nopt checked the tranny fluid level yet. That was actually my first guess at the problem, but the shop that worked on it said they change the fluid ince the car is still pretty new. Hopefully honda finds the problem, I have an appointment with them in 40 minutes.
Old 01-19-2005, 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by HvRRZ,Jan 18 2005, 03:10 PM
Spoke to honda dealer that I bought the car at, and I have an appointment for tomorrow. Have not told them that I have an aftermarket clutch and flywheel, and I do have warranty on the car. Will the warranty be voided due to the aftermarket parts.
They can, it if they feel that it is the cause of the problem.
Old 01-19-2005, 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by HvRRZ,Jan 19 2005, 06:43 AM
I have nopt checked the tranny fluid level yet. That was actually my first guess at the problem, but the shop that worked on it said they change the fluid ince the car is still pretty new. Hopefully honda finds the problem, I have an appointment with them in 40 minutes.
The shop changed the fluid? Did they replace it with the right fluid? There have been many instances of shops using wrong tranny/diff fluids. Could cause a problem - don't know about your problem.
Old 01-20-2005, 07:05 AM

So the dealer took a look at the car, test drove it, and inspected everything. They didn't drop the tranny, but they said they don't believe the noise is coming from the tranny. They did find however that I have a broken engine mount, and they said that may be the problem. They said to replace that and if the noise ois still there then they will check the car again.

The shop changed the fluid? Did they replace it with the right fluid? There have been many instances of shops using wrong tranny/diff fluids. Could cause a problem - don't know about your problem.

No the shop that did the work said they did no change the fluid due to the fact that it is still a new car and doesn't need it changed.
Old 01-14-2006, 07:13 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Same thing has happened to my car, its not an engine mount, they thought it was my throw out bearing and it wasnt that either...my guess is it is suppose to be that way?!?! Like you said it only does it when decelerating

Quick Reply: Grinding/Rattle from tranny after clutch flywheel.