S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

grinding noise in starter?

Old 12-11-2008, 03:42 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy grinding noise in starter?

I'm not sure if I'm in the right area for asking this.. I'm new here.

This morning and other mornings when I start my S2000 there is a grinding noise right after pushing the start button.
Old 12-11-2008, 03:58 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

it might be a bad starter or its the TCT (timing chain tensioner )

I have the same problem, when i replace my TCT about 6 months ago, it made the same sound right after the installation.
Old 12-11-2008, 04:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i had same problem and i took out the starter and greased it and it dose not do it anymore
Old 12-12-2008, 12:41 AM

I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM!!! i start my car and it only happens on cold mornings. i push the button, the car starts, but for a split second after the car cranks over, it sounds like the car still try's to start and then stops. so weird...
Old 12-12-2008, 01:50 AM

ive had this problem too for awhile. thought it was the TCT so i replaced it with no help. I took it to a mechanic at honda who said for sure it was my starter. I havent had the chance to put my new starter in but i am 100 percent that it is a failure of the starter. It seems to be pronounced on cold starts because the motor doesnt need much work to turn over once its warm. It seems that the starter fails at the bendix gear in which case some lube might do the trick or just replacing the unit. I will chime in when i put the new starter in soon. Logically it has to be one of the two TCT or the STARTER!!! GOOD LUCK
Old 12-15-2008, 08:00 AM

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Having the same issue, only does it when the engine is cold. Not sure if it's my battery that's too weak to properly turn the engine over (takes 5-6 cranks to get it started when it grinds).

For those of you who bought the starter, how much did you pay and where did you order it? I heard you can only get remanufactured stsarters but that doesn't sound right.
Old 12-15-2008, 08:10 AM

I'm starting to have the same issue. It happened twice last winter. I am not sure if it is the starter or the secondary air pump in the left front bumper. There have been problem with the fan on this air pump warping and making a terrible noise just after the engine is started. Guess I'll have to get an outside observer to try and localize the sound.
Old 12-15-2008, 08:48 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Interesting posts. While I don't have the problem on my S2000, I do on my old Nissan. Last year I dissasembled the starter and cleaned and relubed the planatery gearset but the problem is back this year with cold weather (even using a new battery). I have a new starter on order but would really be interested if someone would explain why this is happening.
Old 12-15-2008, 10:34 AM

Like all of you - I have this issue and yes, it seems to be only on colder mornings.

I've not torn into my car yet, but my thoughts have seemed to align with what people are reporting here as well.

My ear was telling me that the starter gear was not retracting and as the motor kicked off, the spinning flywheel then clashed with the starter gear resulting in the buzz noise. The push from the turning flywheel seems to be enough to kick the starter gear back into place.

I was thinking that greasing it up would do the trick and it seems like thats the best solution based on the posts here. My main concern is stripping out the teeth on the starter and the flywheel...
Old 12-15-2008, 10:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by driftintherain,Dec 11 2008, 06:53 PM
i had same problem and i took out the starter and greased it and it dose not do it anymore

It sounds like the starter is sticky.

I have the same problem on my car but it only does this in the cold mornings.

Grease it up and you should be good to go.

Quick Reply: grinding noise in starter?