S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Grinding Noise + Other Problems...

Old 09-18-2015, 12:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Grinding Noise + Other Problems...

[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBbsrGzFgNU[/media]

Can anyone help me figure out what this noise is?
My car is completely stock.

I have been told so many different stories & I can't afford to fix every single one of the problems. But I have begun on replacing a new clutch kit with Throw out bearing & Flywheel, However, the noise is still a problem.

Possible Problems. (So I've been told)
-Throwout Bearing - (Replaced with Clutch Kit)
-Input shaft or Bearing
-Drive shaft
-Differential Missing teeth

I am not sure if these problems are related but, I also observed these issues:
PROS:
-Engine runs strong.
-No Loss of Power.
-No Grinds in all gears.

PRO/CON=Not too sure??? if clutch is grabbing really good or trying to kill me?:
Since replacing the clutch, I feel as if I need to slowly let it out or else it jerks/engine breaks, resulting in the nose of the car to stop on impact a little & squeak/chirp the tires. Mostly gears 1-4...

CONS:
-Clunk noise coming from the rear when I put the car into gear.
-Stick shifter feels loose & has play.
-Stick shifter feels clunky/notchy.
-Shifting into third sometimes at high rpm it will have problems going into gear, Finding the gear seems to be a mystery sometimes... Resulting in long timing between shifting to find 3rd gear.
-Axel Nut Clicking when getting out of first gear.
-Putting car into reverse sometimes requires a few tries and a firm tug.
-Steering wheel sometimes shakes while driving, Even when car is warmed up. I usually have to swerve the car wide left and right for it to "Normalize".

I bought this car used, Im the 3rd owner. It is my "Attainable" dream car & I look to keep it and fix all these problems.
Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
Old 09-18-2015, 02:44 PM

Received 126 Likes on 76 Posts

The sound in that video sounds like clutch buzz. The deceleration characteristics at that RPM make seem so, especially.

If the axle nut is clicking getting out of first gear, retorque (at a higher torque setting) it. There is a technical service bulletin about it, search for it.

If you have problems getting your car into reverse I highly suggest doing this in order.
1. Check your clutch pedal adjustment (this has fixed difficulty getting into 1st/reverse after a clutch swap) (search for it)
2. Gravity bleed your clutch fluid. If this helps you know air has gotten into the system and you may have a leak. (search for it)
3. If #2 helps look for leaks at the clutch master cylinder underneath the dash near the firewall, you can also check the slave cylinder for leaks but the master cylinder is more common to start leaking. (search for it)

What year is your car? Does it have the original clutch? When is the last time you flushed your clutch fluid? When is the last time the fluids have been changed? This will be helpful in helping us help you. It might be a good idea to just start flushing trans/diff/etc just as a precaution.

With regards to your shifter feeling clunky, you can try regreasing your shifter (search for it)

All of the above should sort out some of your problems and they will all cost you less than $50 in total to perform.
Old 09-18-2015, 02:48 PM

Received 126 Likes on 76 Posts

Additionally, which clutch kit did you use?

There are many dubious clutch kits on ebay that use an Exedy friction disc that is not OEM. I have been a victim of one and I have clutch buzz myself
Old 09-18-2015, 02:57 PM

The year is a 2001.
I think the clutch kit that was used by the mechanic was PowerTorque - Clutch Kit

The all fluids got flushed and replaced at the clutch kit change out, I'd say about 2 - 3 weeks ago.

Thanks for the help Soviet, Thats good news to know that I can start cheaper with the things you listed and work my way up to the expensive things "if" need be.
I wasn't sure that with everything I listed if it was something major failing and making everything go crazy along with it.

I really appreciate the help
Old 09-18-2015, 03:47 PM
Community Organizer

Received 553 Likes on 505 Posts

When you are in the car with the engine running out of gear does it make noise and then go away when you push in the clutch pedal?
Old 09-18-2015, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by s2000Junky
When you are in the car with the engine running out of gear does it make noise and then go away when you push in the clutch pedal?

When the car is in neutral, I hear the noise when I tap on the gas/rev around 1-2K rpm. It's a rattling/grinding sound heard in that video above, same exact noise, only thing now It's parked and not in gear.

It doesn't make the noise while reving up but, only on its way down the rpm gauge.
Old 09-18-2015, 04:06 PM
Community Organizer

Originally Posted by Recluse129
Originally Posted by s2000Junky' timestamp='1442620046' post='23751475

When the car is in neutral, I hear the noise when I tap on the gas/rev around 1-2K rpm. It's a rattling/grinding sound heard in that video above, same exact noise, only thing now It's parked and not in gear.

It doesn't make the noise while reving up but, only on its way down the rpm gauge.
Ok now when you do the same thing but with the clutch in, does the sound go away or is it still the same?
Old 09-18-2015, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by s2000Junky
Originally Posted by Recluse129' timestamp='1442620521' post='23751480
[quote name='s2000Junky' timestamp='1442620046' post='23751475']

Ok now when you do the same thing but with the clutch in, does the sound go away or is it still the same?
[/quote]

Sorry I went outside to check. It goes away when I clutch in, while in neutral. and it rattles/chatters when clutch is out.
Old 09-18-2015, 08:00 PM

Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Without reading the whole thread I'm going to guess its that garbage clutch that's causing problems.

I think I need to write a clutch faq because that seems like the most common problem posted in UTH
Old 09-18-2015, 09:05 PM
Community Organizer

Originally Posted by Recluse129
Originally Posted by s2000Junky' timestamp='1442621162' post='23751489
[quote name='Recluse129' timestamp='1442620521' post='23751480']
[quote name='s2000Junky' timestamp='1442620046' post='23751475']

[/quote]

Sorry I went outside to check. It goes away when I clutch in, while in neutral. and it rattles/chatters when clutch is out.
[/quote]

Whats happening is you are engaging/disengaging the throw out bearing and turning the transmission input shaft. So when you hear a noise at idle with clutch out, these are both engaged and moving and has to be one of those two things causing the noise, which shouldn't be there. You said the throw out bearing was replaced? If so, signs are pointing to not clutch buzz or solely so, but actually a transmission issue.

Maybe Billman can confirm?

Quick Reply: Grinding Noise + Other Problems...