S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Grinding noise after hard launch

Old 01-27-2015, 06:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Grinding noise after hard launch

This morning I was driving home from work and decided to go on a backroad. Was an idiot and did a hard launch (I know) and now I screwed up my car. It's a 2001 with a recently installed exedy clutch kit (flywheel, throw out bearing ect was replaced). My car will go into gear, and the clutch feels fine (constant pressure when pressed in/let out) but if I go above 5mph, my car makes a grinding noise and feels like there's resistance (won't accelterate). before I bought the exedy kit, I read that the throw out bearing goes bad quickly. At the time I thought nothing of it but now I'm starting to wish I would of went with a OEM replacement. Could it be that, the rear diff? Axles? I'm not what you would call "educated" when it comes to figuring out The source of the problem. But I figured I'd ask before I dropped the transmission. and yes, I did search before I decided to post. Doesn't seem like I could quite find the answer. Much help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.
Old 01-27-2015, 12:35 PM

Bump, anyone?
Old 01-27-2015, 07:15 PM

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Sorry about the issue you are experiencing. Can you figure out if the sound you are hearing is coming from the front, middle, or rear of the car? It is posabile you broke the diff or damaged/broke an axle. Just need to figure out the noise and where it is coming from. It could even be the new clutch?
Can you feel any grinding or thumping?
Old 01-27-2015, 07:26 PM

when I had my girlfriend stand outside and listen, she said it was coming from the rear. I hope it's not the clutch, that was a ungodly pricey job last time. Had it towed to the shop today, hopefully will find out tomorrow
Old 01-27-2015, 07:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it's the rear it's quite possible it's the diff. A new clutch has more clamping force than an old used one. This means the diff will take more of the energy and go boom. Idk how much you're looking at labor wise but I can imagine it to be close to a clutch job. A used diff usually goes for around $500 in the classifieds. Best of luck! Do not drive the car any more as you'll exacerbate the problem especially if it's the diff.
Old 01-28-2015, 01:24 AM

Don't worry, cars not going anywhere because it won't go above walking speed without making a horrible grinding noise and even if I gI've it gas, the car feels like it has so much force pulling it back that it won't accelterate. If it helps, my car also vibrated a little during acceleration and would hear pops when reversing and turning sharp at low speeds. Which was before all this happened. Made a loud grinding noise once a couple months back, but I turned the car off and restarted it and it went away. Put about 10k miles on it since then.
Old 01-28-2015, 04:10 AM

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

I'm thinking it's the left rear axle as the car will not want to propell over 5mph. Have the shop check the left rear CV.
Old 01-28-2015, 06:00 AM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by S2KPUDDYDAD
I'm thinking it's the left rear axle as the car will not want to propell over 5mph. Have the shop check the left rear CV.

OP--you got some great advice here----S2KPUDDYDAD is our resident expert on the drivetrain in our cars!!!!

The rest of us have come to learn whatever he and/or Billman says is virtually certain to be the case...

hope it's just the CV joint and welcome to S2k!
Old 01-28-2015, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by jetboater
Originally Posted by S2KPUDDYDAD' timestamp='1422450656' post='23484373

OP--you got some great advice here----S2KPUDDYDAD is our resident expert on the drivetrain in our cars!!!!

The rest of us have come to learn whatever he and/or Billman says is virtually certain to be the case...

Thanks I appreciate the help! Im hoping that my problem, would save me alot of money
Old 01-28-2015, 03:45 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by NitroWhite
Originally Posted by jetboater' timestamp='1422457227' post='23484515
[quote name='S2KPUDDYDAD' timestamp='1422450656' post='23484373']

Thanks I appreciate the help! Im hoping that my problem, would save me alot of money
[/quote]

X2 for Puddydad.

Utah

Quick Reply: Grinding noise after hard launch