S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Grinding Gears/Clutch in VTEC

Old 08-11-2014, 06:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Grinding Gears/Clutch in VTEC

Hi guys,

New S2k owner here. Bought a 2003 model, with 86k miles. Everything is fine, except for when changing gears when VTEC is engaged. Regardless of the gear, when I reach over 6,000 rpm, there is a grinding sound when I put my foot on the clutch. It happens 1st to 2nd, 2nd to 3rd etc, but only when I am over 6,000rpm.

I have tried different methods for upshifting, thinking maybe I was changing gears too quickly, but it seems as though the grinding sound happens whenever I engage the clutch. The best way to describe the sound is it's similar to the sound a car makes when you change try to change gear but it doesn't fully engage(hope that makes sense!)

I can also feel it in the clutch, it's like a slight vibration. Again, anything below 6,000rpm is great. I have read other threads which mention about worn out synchros and changing trans fluid, but each thread mentioned slightly different problems to the ones I am experiencing.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Jon
Old 08-11-2014, 07:28 AM

If your feeling a vibration in the clutch pedal chances are the release bearing or pressure plate is toast. You might try changing the trans fluid just because it's cheap and easy before going to the trouble of pulling the trans.
Old 08-11-2014, 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by 96-EJ6
If your feeling a vibration in the clutch pedal chances are the release bearing or pressure plate is toast. You might try changing the trans fluid just because it's cheap and easy before going to the trouble of pulling the trans.
Thanks for the reply. Would the release bearing/pressure plate be generally associated with high-rev issues such as mine? And is there a chance that it will eventually become an issue at lower revs?

Thanks again.
Old 08-11-2014, 03:19 PM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

In neutral, car stationary, at idle, step on the clutch pedal, which loads the release bearing against the pressure plate, and spins both at engine rpm. Then ramp the engine rpm to see if and when the vibration starts. If you get it, then the release bearing seems most likely.

I assume you would have mentioned it if the clutch was either slipping, or failing to disengage fully.
Old 08-11-2014, 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by JonS2KI
Originally Posted by 96-EJ6' timestamp='1407770918' post='23281765
Thanks for the reply. Would the release bearing/pressure plate be generally associated with high-rev issues such as mine? And is there a chance that it will eventually become an issue at lower revs?

Thanks again.
Unfortunately, if the release bearing is starting to fail it will eventually become a problem under all conditions. The grinding could be a separate issue or could be associated with the vibration...it's just really hard to say. I'd start by draining the transmission, save the fluid and inspect it for metalic particles. If there's something seriously wrong internally the fluid will look like metalic paint. If the fluid looks ok refill it with OEM Honda fluid and see if the grind is still there.
Old 08-12-2014, 05:47 AM

Thanks again for the replies.

The clutch isn't slipping, and the gears engage without a problem. What I did notice last night and when I took the car out, was that the sound does not occur from 4th gear onwards. 4th to 5th doesn't make the sound or vibration, and this was still at high-revs.

Could it be that the synchros from 1st to 4th are shot?
Old 08-12-2014, 06:56 AM

Definitely possible.
Old 08-12-2014, 12:38 PM

This may be a matter of being specific on descriptions.

When you say "there is a grinding sound when I put my foot on the clutch" I assumed that "put my foot on the clutch" meant you had also pushed the clutch pedal down. Also I assumed the grinding started as soon as you pressed the pedal down, not that you had also moved the shift lever to neutral or tried to select another gear.

If synchros were worn, then the grinding sound or vibration would start only when you try to select a gear. I don't see why just stepping on the clutch would start anything in the synchros or sliding sleeves.

So can you clarify that the vibration starts when you only step on the clutch, or does it start when you try to shift? Or maybe just be more precise on what happens when.

In addition it seems unlikely that you would feel a synchro problem in the clutch pedal since the clutch is not mechanically connected to the transmission. It is connected only by a flexible hydraulic hose and the fluid in it. That you can feel the vibration in the pedal - presumably transmitted as pulses in the fluid - really suggests that the source is something in the clutch. And here I assumed that you meant you felt it when the clutch pedal was pressed down. If the pedal is up then there is no pressure from line to pedal to carry a vibration.
Old 08-12-2014, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by JonS2KI
What I did notice last night and when I took the car out, was that the sound does not occur from 4th gear onwards. 4th to 5th doesn't make the sound or vibration, and this was still at high-revs.

Could it be that the synchros from 1st to 4th are shot?
So if it's gear dependent that seems to say not the clutch. Clutch spins at engine speed no matter what gear you are in. I'll wait for you to clarify whether it is clutch or shifting, or something else that initiates the grind/vibration.
Old 08-12-2014, 03:48 PM

Sorry guys, I'll try and describe it better:

Basically, the grinding sound occurs when my foot is fully down on the clutch, and whilst changing gears. I've read numerous threads on the grinding I suspect to be similar to mine, and noticed some recommendations on delaying shifting for a split second after the clutch is fully engaged. I have tried this, and the sound is present throughout the whole process (clutch down, then shift).

The sound and the vibration also occur at the same time, and end once the clutch is disengaged after shifting. From 4th gear onwards, the sound/vibration are not present, so it seems to be issues from 1st gear onwards to 4th. It was initially only after 6,000 rpm, which lead me to believe it was related to vtec, but today I got a slight sign of both the grinding and vibration from 3rd to 4th when just under 6,000rpm. Also, the grinding doesn't sound completely mechanical, the only way I can describe it is the sound the car makes when you do not shift fully into gear, and you try to accelerate. (the sound is on a much lower scale)

I tried revving the engine today at idle and neutral with the clutch fully engaged, and didn't notice the same symptoms once I hit 6k.

I am taking the car to my local honda dealer tomorrow morning, just to see if they can diagnose it. To make matters even worse, I think the TCT is also shot, as I could hear rattling when I got back into the car (warm engine).

Thanks for the replies, the knowledge shared here is beyond anything I could have attained myself.

Jon

Quick Reply: Grinding Gears/Clutch in VTEC