S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Grinding of the Front left tire

Old 04-26-2012, 10:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Grinding of the Front left tire

Hey Gangs,

I got a problem with my S2000 for a while now. I never modded my car nor has the front tire been replaced. I have this grinding sound when I make a hard left turn. I can see plastics lining on the inside all rubbed out and leaving the chassis exposed. Does anyone have or know this problem? Because on a left turn the suspension compresses on the right side, but not the left side. I don't want to take it back to the dealer under warranty and I am sure they will say it I crashed my car and bent my chassis or some stupid stuff. Yes, my bumper is a bit torn from large debris on the freeway such as broken tire shreds flying around. But I doubt that will cause any significant damaged to the chassis. Below is the photo of where the tire rubs the lining off. And when I turn the steering wheel when the car isn't running, there is still plenty of space so the tires won't touch that plastic lining. If you guys have any inputs that would be great. Thanks.

Old 04-27-2012, 03:16 AM

Received 330 Likes on 279 Posts

Have you had the car since it was new?
Levi
Old 05-01-2012, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by NNY S2k
Have you had the car since it was new?
Levi
Yes, I had it brand new. I am the only owner.
Old 05-01-2012, 11:49 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 316 Likes on 149 Posts

Stock rims/tires, stock suspension? If so, only reason the tire would rub is suspension and/or body damage.

That said, are you sure it's the tire rubbing? I'm not sure the tire can reach that spot in the photo, esp on a left turn, when the chassis pulls away from the wheel. I think the sound you're hearing might be unrelated to that wear spot, in which case you might have a more serious problem. Take the car to a good alignment shop and have them examine everything carefully.
Old 05-01-2012, 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by twohoos
Stock rims/tires, stock suspension? If so, only reason the tire would rub is suspension and/or body damage.

That said, are you sure it's the tire rubbing? I'm not sure the tire can reach that spot in the photo, esp on a left turn, when the chassis pulls away from the wheel. I think the sound you're hearing might be unrelated to that wear spot, in which case you might have a more serious problem. Take the car to a good alignment shop and have them examine everything carefully.
Ya I think it is hard to rub at that spot too. Everything I have on the car is stock. Nothing modified or swapped out. But When I punch that left turn hard, I can feel the car braking a little and vibrating. I think getting an alignment is a good start. I'll give that a try. Thanks.
Old 05-02-2012, 12:45 PM

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Before aligning, check wheel bearings, sway bar links, shockes and springs - a visual check will do.
You can do this yourself, with a jack and jackstands.
To make sure its the tire rubbing - or not - put some tape or paint on that spot and take a left turn.
If its gone immediatly after the the drive its the tire rubbing.
But how?
Old 05-06-2012, 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by SpitfireS
Before aligning, check wheel bearings, sway bar links, shockes and springs - a visual check will do.
You can do this yourself, with a jack and jackstands.
To make sure its the tire rubbing - or not - put some tape or paint on that spot and take a left turn.
If its gone immediatly after the the drive its the tire rubbing.
But how?

Will Do... I'll post some photos too so maybe others can see what I don't see...
Old 05-07-2012, 05:29 AM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

If your feeling the car seem to slow down when you hear the noise then this sign of rubbing is not your problem....it may be related but rubbing this plastic will not actually slow the car at all. My tire rubs just a little due to the size I run in really hard turns at the track which I can hear but it does not affect my speed. I definitely agree have a look at all your bearings and bushings up front.
Old 05-07-2012, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by SLracer
If your feeling the car seem to slow down when you hear the noise then this sign of rubbing is not your problem....it may be related but rubbing this plastic will not actually slow the car at all. My tire rubs just a little due to the size I run in really hard turns at the track which I can hear but it does not affect my speed. I definitely agree have a look at all your bearings and bushings up front.
Well not slow down by a lot, but I can feel vibration on the pedals.
Old 05-08-2012, 12:42 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Yea you can still rub that plastic and not feel a thing in any controls. You would have to be biting into it a lot to do that which you can tell from the pictures you aren't.