S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

grind in 2nd

Old 12-23-2005, 06:38 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

TSB is just a service bulletin notifying technicians of possible problems, or new methods/specs for repairs such as new torque spec for a bolt or a new tool. Problems with an associated TSB can be fixed under warranty the same as any other problem.
Old 12-23-2005, 07:23 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Emil St-Hilaire,Dec 22 2005, 09:45 PM
Mt-90 for tranny= 2 quarts.
75W90 Redline gear oil for diff=1 quart.
Been using those for a long while!!!
Bring it to the dealer for the synchro TSB.
Any Redline transmission product may rescind the factory Honda warranty.
By recommending a product without a caveat
Old 12-23-2005, 07:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^^thanks alot of the information unfortunitly i already ordered my redline last night soon after my previous post.

I still need help with the TSB and if honda should/would apply this to my vehicle.
Old 12-23-2005, 08:03 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 469 Likes on 400 Posts

Don't use Redline,your tranny will fall in pieces within 1500 miles.!!!
Old 12-23-2005, 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by umairejaz,Dec 23 2005, 10:35 AM
^^thanks alot of the information unfortunitly i already ordered my redline last night soon after my previous post.

I still need help with the TSB and if honda should/would apply this to my vehicle.
Sorry I didn't get this info to you sooner.

My car suffered the 1-2 grind on a regular basis. My first transmission was rebuilt, and then subsequently replaced by Honda. The key to getting Honda to fix your transmission (in addition to having a valid warranty) is to demonstrate the problem is repeatable to the Honda Techs at your local dealer. Honda will always attempt to rebuild the S2000 transmission before replacing it. Regrettably, unless you have an extended warranty, they will not fix your transmission under the TSB.

For note, my replacement transmission from Honda worked as advertised.
I ultimately bought an '04 transmission (from the Hard Top Guy) because the gear ratios in the
Old 12-23-2005, 08:13 AM

^^^thanks! ill keep that in mind if worse comes to wrose.

so in conclusion no tranny TSB for me, right?

I hope the redline fluid can take care of the grinding and if not i shall learn to drive alittle easier.

Any input on the master clutch cylinder? Where should i order a new one from if needed?
Old 12-23-2005, 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by Emil St-Hilaire,Dec 23 2005, 11:03 AM
Don't use Redline,your tranny will fall in pieces within 1500 miles.!!!
Old 12-23-2005, 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by umairejaz,Dec 23 2005, 11:13 AM

I hope the redline fluid can take care of the grinding and if not i shall learn to drive alittle easier.

Any input on the master clutch cylinder? Where should i order a new one from if needed?
Master cylinder ...
Hard Top Guy or the marketplace on this forum. You can also Google "wholesale Honda OEM parts" and should get a list of online wholesale distributors.

Also, many folks use ATE Super Blue brake fluid as a great replacement fluid for both the brakes and the clutch master cylinder. Most brake fluids will absorb water over time and ATE is a little less prone to absorbing water than most other brands on the market. It's important to change out your brake and clutch master cylinder fluid about once a year.

http://www.hardtopguy.com/store/cust...ome.php?cat=11
(fill out the part request form)

http://www.hondiscountparts.com/S20-...000_parts.html
(I haven't compared their prices yet ... call and compare with the dealer).

http://www.honda-auto-parts-wholesale.com/
(another one I found on a search)
Old 12-23-2005, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by umairejaz,Dec 23 2005, 11:13 AM

As for the TSB ... only Honda of America and/or your dealer can answer that.
If your car is still under warranty (it would have to be an extended warranty for sure) and you can demonstrate your car has the listed problem - consistently, then you may get the problem solved by Honda. As mentioned by Emil St-Hilaire, a TSB is not a recall and is not a mandatory fix.

The cheapest fix if your warranty is expired is to change the fluid (give Amsoil MTF a try - it won't fix damaged synchros though - no fluid will).
Change the fluid in your clutch master cylinder; possibly replace the clutch master and slave cylinders (and the line).
A must - Adjust the way you drive the car...
'Speed shifting' of any type will result in the 1-2 shift grind - the more aggressive the shift and severe the grind ... the more permanent the damage (it's an older car and there may already be permanent damage to the synchros).
The 1-2 shift takes a little technique to make it work well.
Here are some other tips:
-Baby the transmission when it's cold (Double-clutch if needed) and let it warm up.
-On the other end ... give the transmission time to circulate cooler oil if you just got off the highway (sustained high speed driving) and transition to city driving - i.e. don't 'street race' right after getting off the highway.
-The XViper technique is to push the shifter all the way against the left side of the shifting "gate" during the 1-2 shift, and to pause a split-second in neutral between gears.
-If the weather is relatively warm, give your transmission time to circulate cooling oil after a quick stop (shopping etc.). Your transmission will heat soak and hard driving will cause that 'random' 1-2 grind. The same thing applies to stop and go traffic in the summer. Give your transmission time to cool.
These techniques take time to make them second nature. They all help though and may prevent you from needing to replace your transmission or having the current one rebuilt.

I hope this helps.
Old 01-07-2006, 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by gochuxsaurus,Dec 23 2005, 12:11 AM
i had that same proble...you know why it does that...because you need to practice shifting =]