S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Gremlins After 1st Oil change

Old 12-31-2009, 06:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gremlins After 1st Oil change

After doing my first oil change with 3500 miles on my 08 S, I notices a couple of strange things... hoping for a little feedback. I could simply be over analyzing, since this is my first work on the vehicle and I'm scanning for any unusual noises or signs.

First, it seems like the oil pressure light stays on longer than it did before the oil change. It only takes about a second or two after starting when the vehicle has been sitting for a week, so maybe that's par for the course. On my Camry the light goes off right after the engine catches.

Second, there is a strange deisel type noise in the valve train area of the engine while the car warms up. After fully warmed up I only hear just a bit of ticking from the valves. After doing some research, it could be timing chain tesioner... but sounds more like light knocking.

Can't figure out what during the oil change process could have contributed to either of these. I've done my own oil changes before (many years ago), and the most compicated part on the S2000 is raising the car. Maybe a bad drainback valve for the first issue(oil pressure light), but I haven't seen another S to know if a second or two is typical before the light goes off. Plus I used an OEM PCX filter.

On the noise... I have no flippin' idea. I changed to standard GTX 10-30w, so it's maybe a tiny bit thicker than the OEM oil so maybe takes a few minutes longer to reach the valve train and quiet it down?? But now Im stretching.

If you could let me know how long it takes for your oil pressure light to go off after sitting at least overnight... that might help ease my concerns on the first issue. And, any ideas on the noise issue would be appreciated. I avoid dealership service departments when possible, as this is my baby... but that may be the next option depending on feedback.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

BTW: Love this site! I've lost count of the number of useful bits of information I gotten from S2KI, so great work everybody.
Old 12-31-2009, 06:10 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The ticking is normal. I think you're a little paranoid.
Old 12-31-2009, 06:11 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The S2000 is a noisy car, you're just paranoid
Old 01-01-2010, 05:12 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it has been sitting for a week, a second is about right for that oil pressure light, its normal.
Old 01-01-2010, 05:23 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll disagree. Unless you just didn't know the noise level before the change... there should increased noise the first second or so after the car is started cold, but as soon as oil starts flowing there should be no noises that aren't there all the time. If you hear a noise that takes a few minutes to go away, there is usually an issue.

Did you check the oil level? Low oil (extremely low) can cause some noise. I'd also spin off whatever filter they put on, if it's not a Honda filter, or another filter that you can translate the model number of to the proper (larger than other Hondas) filter size.

Finally, I'd make sure it has the right weight oil in it. Too thin, or too thick will cause additional valvetrain or timing chain clatter.
Old 01-01-2010, 12:32 PM

Thanks for the feedback.

I did the work myself, so I know the filter is right and the oil is 10-30w GTX. I don't remember hearing the noise, though, so that's the thing that bugs me. After searching through many posts I did come across another member that complained about the same thing, but said the noise went away after a week or so on the fresh oil. I have to think it's timing chain/valve assembly related as that's the most likely culprit of noise as it relates to a change in oil thickness/type in my opinion. The other theory I have is that I've checked the level before and after each start up (dip stick is so darn hard to read!), and it's possible that releasing any potential vacume in the head could allow the oil to drain more thoroughly back into the pan hence taking longer to reach the valve train and quiet it down at the next start up. It took 5.6 Qts of oil so I know I'm not low. I'll probably just keep an eye on it to see if it subsides. Anyone know if the AP2's have the same TCT issues as earlier models? Mine's an '08 so thought they would have dialed that in by now.

On the oil pressure light, sounds like a second or two is typical, so I'll let that one go for now.
Old 01-01-2010, 03:57 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

If you are anal enough about your car to do your own oil change, why not use a better oil?
Old 01-01-2010, 04:44 PM

I don't think there is a better non-synthetic 10-30W oil than Castrol GTX... at least not enough difference to worry about. I'll go synthetic when I'm closer to the 10K mark.
Old 01-01-2010, 06:38 PM

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts

I have made very similar observations after the last two oil changes on my car. Mine almost sounds like a non-rythmic rattle coming from the front of the engine, leading me to believe that it is related to the TCT. The car has ran great like this for quite some time, but I am almost certain that it did not do this before the oil change. Also the sound seems to come and go as with yours.

As to why, I am not sure, but I discussed the issue with a friend who owns a shop which lead to this thread:

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=755356

The S2k filter is pretty big, which could explain the light staying on for longer than normal, mine stays on for 2-3 seconds after an oil change.

I may try to run mine to the shop, once I remove it from winter storage in the spring, but this issue may be difficult to diagnose because the sound is not consistant.
Old 01-01-2010, 10:49 PM

Bgoetz... thanks for the reply... very interesting. It does sound like an inconsistent rattle, or diesel like noise which quiets down as the car warms up. I could see this on the first start after the oil change, but can't figure out why it would continue making this noise on several more subsequent start ups. Plus in my case, I did pre-fill the filter just a bit to saturate the element. I'll let you know if the sound goes away over the next week or two.

Quick Reply: Gremlins After 1st Oil change